God – the Holy Spirit
1 John 5:7
This is a study of the Holy Spirit, the third person of the Godhead. The work of the Holy Spirit is so vital to our Christianity, yet we often go through our day without even a notice of his presence. In this lesson, we will touch on who he is and a few of the things that He does.
These three are one– [Matt.28:19] Included in the formula [Acts 10:48] the name of the Lord
- The Father – God the Father – [John 4:20-24] He is a Spirit
- God the Father is the Lord [Deu.6:4] [Isa. 42:5]
- The Word – Jesus Christ, the son of God – [John 1: 1-3, 14] [1Jn.1:1] [Rev.19:11-13] Word is the name of the person, Jesus is the name of the body, [1 Tim 3:16] God manifest in the flesh
- The Word, Jesus, the son, is the Lord [1Cor.1:3] [2Cor.4:14] [Phil.2:11]
- The Holy Ghost – if these three are one, He is equal to God, just as Jesus is [Phil.2:5-11] and in no way inferior to the other two. Just as Jesus chose to humble himself, the Holy Spirit will glorify Jesus and not himself [John 16:13-14]
- The Holy Spirit is the Lord [2 Cor.3:17]
The Holy Spirit is a person and not just an influence, but a person with influence.
- Personal pronouns are used when speaking of the Holy Spirit
- [John 15:26]through [John 16:7-14] He, just like [John 16:5] Him is God, a person
- Two times the Holy Spirit is not referred to with a personal pronoun
- [Romans 8:16] Dealing with the work of the Holy Spirit
- [Romans 8:26] deals with His work, calls him “he” in verse 27
- Since He is a person, we need to know him more personally. [Phil.2:1] Fellowship of the Spirit, and [2Cor.13:14] Communion of the Holy Ghost.
- Example of knowing Pastor as my pastor, a husband, a father, and a son gives me a closer and more meaningful relationship, one where we can be friends.
The Work of God – the Holy Spirit
He Reproves the world of Sin, Righteousness, and Judgment [Jn.16:7-12]
He convicts the lost to bring them to salvation.
He convicts the saved to keep them clean and living right
We need the work of the Holy Spirit before and after salvation
He Creates and Regenerates the new believer[Gen.1:2] He was active in creation [Jn.3:3-8] You are born again by the Spirit of God
He Seals your Salvation[Eph.1:13-14] The spirit of promise [Eph.4:30] Until the day of redemption
He bears witness to you of your salvation[1 Jn.4:13] the knowledge that he dwells in you [Rom.8:16] confirms that you are a child of God
He teaches you Bible[Jn.14:26] and brings all things into remembrance [Jn.16:13-15] guides you into all truth
He intercedes in prayer for you[Rom.8:26-27] all your prayer into the will of God [Eph.2:18] part of your access to God
He comforts you in time of need[Jn.14:15-18] Comforter abiding with you [2Cor.1:3-4] The God of all comfort, so you can comfort others
He empowers you to serve God[Eph.3:16] strengthened with might by his Spirit [Rom.8:5-11] the power that raised Jesus from the dead
He gives you discernment in decision making[1 Cor.2:11-16] the mind of Christ
We can :[Eph.4:30] Grieve, [Heb.10:29] Despise, [Isa.63:10] Vex, [Acts 5:3] Lie, [Acts 7:51] resist, [1Thes.5:19] Quench His work.