Rightly Dividing the Word of Truth : Divisions Lesson #5
In the previous lessons we have been looking at the major divisions in the word of God. The first one was called Innocence and it dealt with Adam and Eve in the Garden of Eden before their sin. The second one was called Conscience and it dealt with man as a result of Adam and Eve’s sin being under their conscience. The third division was called Human Government and dealt with the changes that God made when Noah and his family got off the ark. The fourth division was called Promise and dealt with the promises given to Abram. The fifth division was called the Law and dealt with the Old Testament Law that was given to Israel after they left Egypt. The sixth division was called the Church Age which deals Jews and Gentiles being saved by grace through faith after Jesus’ resurrection. In this lesson we will look at the last three divisions which are the Tribulation, The Millennial Reign of Jesus Christ, and Eternity.
Major divisions in the word of God continued :
Division 7 : The Tribulation (Rapture – 2nd Advent of the Lord Jesus Christ)
- This division begins after the Rapture of the church and will end when the Lord Jesus Christ returns at the 2nd Advent and destroys the anti-Christ and his armies at the battle of Armageddon.
- Many people teach that the church will have to go through the tribulation period but it does not. In this series we will devote an entire lesson on why the church does go through the tribulation.
- During the tribulation God starts dealing again with Israel getting them ready for the kingdom that will come when Jesus returns at the 2nd Advent. The tribulation is also called Daniel’s 70th week, note that Daniel’s 70th week is determined upon the Jews (Daniel 9:24-27)
- During the tribulation Israel will be sacrificing again because the temple will be rebuilt. But the anti-Christ will stop the sacrifices half way through and then he will proclaim to be God and have people worship him. This is when people will have to take the mark of the beast in order to buy and sale.
- Salvation in the tribulation is by faith and works, the law is back in effect. (Revelation 12:17; Revelation 14:12)
- Also taking the Mark of the Beast will also cause a person to lose their salvation. (Revelation 14:10-11) In the tribulation period a person can lose his salvation and most of the places in the Bible that people use to teach you can lose your salvation are doctrinally applying to the tribulation and not the church age. This is why it is so important to rightly divide the word of God as it says in 2 Timothy 2:15.
- Even though God is dealing with Israel as a nation again in the tribulation there will be both Jews and Gentiles saved in the tribulation (Revelation 7:14).
Division 8 : The Millennial Reign of the Lord Jesus Christ (2nd Advent – End of 1000 year reign of Jesus Christ)
- The division begins after the 2nd Advent of the Lord Jesus Christ when Jesus Christ sets up his millennial kingdom and reigns for 1000 years as King of Kings and Lord of Lords.
- During this 1000 year reign of Jesus Christ Satan is bound in the bottomless pit for one 1000 years (Revelation 20:1-3)
- When Jesus reign it will fulfill the prophesy of Luke 1:30-33. This will also be the fulfillment of the kingdom of Heaven and Israel will be the lead nation on earth.
- The type of Government will be a military dictatorship with the Lord Jesus Christ reigning with a rod of iron (Revelation 11:15; Psalm 2:2-12; Psalm 72:8-9)
- The plan of Salvation is works, it is do what Jesus says or else. This is why he gave the Sermon on the Mount in Matthew 5-7 because he was preparing the Jews for the kingdom but they rejected it. This time they will receive it. The Sermon on the Mount is like the constitution of the kingdom and it therefore doctrinally applies in the millennium and not the church age. But we can still take spiritual applications from it just not doctrinal application from it.
- At the end of the 1000 year reign Satan will be loosed for a short season and he will gather an army to try and defeat Jesus Christ (Revelation 20:7-9). God will destroy him and his army with fire from Heaven (Revelation 20:9-10) and Satan will be thrown into the Lake of Fire (Revelation 20:10)
- Then the Great White Throne Judgment will take place (Revelation 20:11-15). This is where everyone who was not saved in the church age and anyone who ever died lost or was saved in the tribulation or millennium is judged. And whoever’s name was not found written in the lambs book of life was cast into the Lake of Fire.
Division 9 : Eternity (Forever)
- After the Great White Throne Judgment God creates a new heaven and a new earth (Revelation 21-22). All the people who were not thrown into the Lake of Fire will live with God forever and ever and ever and ever Amen!!!
It is interesting to see that the Word of God has made a complete circle at the end. If Adam and Eve had not sinned then they would have lived forever on a perfect earth. Thanks to the Lord Jesus Christ we will one day get to live on a sinless earth where no sin can enter in and live forever with God and not die. I can’t wait.
The Bible has divisions and you have now seen the major divisions of the Word of God. You have also seen how important it is to make these divisions and keep things in the right place. In another study of this series we are going to look at the covenants and this will give you a better understanding of each of these divisions.
Rightly Dividing the Word of Truth : Divisions Lesson #5
1) What is the name of the seventh division?
2) List some details about this division?
3) What is the name of the eighth division?
4) List some details about this division?
5) What is the name of the ninth division?
6) List some details about this division?