What do we need to Survive? The Word of God
Job 23:12 “Neither have I gone back from the commandment of his lips; I have esteemed the words of his mouth more than my necessary food.”
This is an interesting verse because it gives us Job’s attitude regarding the word of God. I realize that if a man does not eat anything he will eventually die from starvation. But what Job is saying is that to him is that the word of God is more important than food. If we could just get to the same place as Job in our own Christian life and have the word of God be more important to us than eating we might be able to go through trails like Job and come out on top.
To show you just how needful the word of God really is for your life, God’s word likens itself to some things that are necessary for survival. We will use two different categories. If one had only these basic foods and these basic tools you could survive. So, all we need is the word of God. Why do many not survive? They never study the survival manual.
1) Water (Ephesians 5:26)
- The word of God cleanses us as we read it therefore it is necessary for sanitation purposes in our lives. (Psalms 119:9)
- The word of God also fills a thirsty soul just as water would do therefore to avoid spiritual dehydration, we need the word of God daily.
2) Milk (1 Peter 2:2)
- The first thing that all babies drink in one form or another is milk. The word of God is just as important for someone who has just been saved as someone as someone who has been saved a long time.
3) Meat (1Corinthians 3:2)
- The word of God is remarkably diverse. The same passage will give a new Christian something and give an older Christian something totally different. The sad thing is that when we never take time to study God’s word we never get off milk and get to the meat of the scriptures. We must study to mature. (Hebrews 5:12-14)
4) Bread (Matthew 4:4)
- Bread is very essential in our lives and is one of the most basic food groups. The word of God is likened unto bread several times and Jesus called himself the bread of life. Therefore, we need his words as much as we need him.
5) Apples (Proverbs 25:11)
- Apples have vitamins and nutrients that we all need. The word of God is the same way. It not only helps us to grow but it can help us from getting sick.
6) Honey (Psalms 19:10)
- Honey is not only sweet and flavorful, but it also has things in it that are good for us and can be used medicinally as well. The word of God is very pleasant to read and taste good to our souls sometimes even when it is correcting us or helping us.
Survival Equipment :
1) Fire (Jeremiah 20:9 ; Jeremiah 23:29)
- Fire is an essential thing in any survival situation. Fire can cook food, give warmth and light, it also cleanses and purifies. Any good survival kit will include matches or some other means of starting a fire. The word of God does all the things said about fire therefore it should be the essential to for survival.
2) Sword (Ephesians 6:17 ; Hebrews 4:12)
- A sword has many uses. It can be used for defense against and animal or a person. It can be used to kill for food and used in preparing the food. It can also be used to cut wood for the fire or for building a shelter. The only defensive weapon that we have as a Christian soldier is our sword which is the word of God. This is what Jesus used to defeat Satan all three times. It is our one and only weapon therefore we must be skilled in using it.
3) Lamp (Psalms 119:105)
- Anyone who is stranded somewhere for any length of time will eventually need light. The light can be used for seeing what is around you or working in the dark. It can also be used to guide your path. The word of God does all of the above. It helps you see clearly the world around you and the dangers thereof. It shows you how to work for God in this present dark world. It also gives you the necessary guidance for living your life.
4) Hammer and Nails (Jeremiah 23:29 ; Ecclesiastes 12:11)
- The word of God is likened unto both a hammer and nails. With these and a sword to cut down wood you could build what you need to survive. With the word of God, you can build anything form a life to a family, to a career, to a business, to a home, to a marriage, to a community, to a nation, etc. The problem is that we try to build everything on man’s wisdom and not the word of God.
5) Mirror (James 1:22-25)
- A mirror can be used with water when trying to wash your face. Any good survival kit will include a signaling mirror. Therefore, the word of God shows us what is wrong in our lives and can be used as a signal to others. The thing about looking in the mirror and seeing something wrong is that you must do something about it. The word of God will show you what is wrong with you and your life, but it is up to you to change it.
6) Seed (1 Peter 1:23)
- The word of God is likened to a seed and from seeds we can grow things essential to survival. The word of God is essential in growing young Christians and older ones too.
What do we need to Survive? The Word of God
1) What is Job’s attitude about the word of God in Job 23:12 that we need to have?
2) List the ways in which the Bible likens itself to Food. Give references.
3) List the ways in which the Bible likens itself to Survival Equipment. Give references.