The Purpose of Our Faith
I this passage we see Jesus heal a man that is sick with the palsy. But the interesting thing is that it all happens based on the faith of 4 men. In this sermon we will look at how our faith also has the purpose of affecting the lives of others and not just ourselves.
When we think of our faith it is often viewed from the personal standpoint. Below are some examples.
- Ephesians 2:8-9 (Saving Faith)
- 2 Corinthians 5:7 (Faith to live by)
- 2 Corinthians 5:8 (Dying faith)
But we see in Mark 2:5 it was the faith of the men that got the attention of Jesus Christ. Paul was also aware of this in 2 Timothy 3:10. Let us now look at the passage to see a purpose in our faith that is not just for us personally but for the benefit of others.
The Purpose of Our Faith:
1) Affect the lives of others (verses 1-5)
- When we look to the great chapter on faith in Hebrews note how others were affected by the faith of individuals.
- Examples: Abel, still speaking after death / Enoch affecting Noah / Moses affects entire nation / Rahab great grandmother of David etc.
2) Affecting the lives of others usually involves overcoming obstacles (verse 4)
- Note in Hebrews 11:30 that it does not say by faith Joshua brought down the walls of Jericho, but it was collect faith of all involved in carrying out God’s orders.
3) Sometimes our faith is a great teaching opportunity for others (verse 6-11)
- Because of the faith of these 4 men many people learned exactly who Jesus was and that as God he had the power to forgive sins.
4) To glorify God (verse 12)
- For God to get the glory is one of the main reasons for our faith. This applies in the personal sense and in the case of our faith affecting others (1 Peter 3:7).
How can our faith affect others? We must exercise it in order for it to grow (2 Thessalonians 1:3-4).