Sowing and Reaping
In this lesson we are going to look at some of the basic principles of sowing and reaping. There are many ways that we can apply this passage spiritual to our lives. For example, it can be applied to sowing the gospel and witnessing for Jesus Christ. It can be applied to living for God (sowing to the spirit) or living for ourselves (sowing to the flesh). It can also be applied to a particular ministry that God has given you to do.
Some basic principles of sowing and reaping:
1) You reap when you sow (verses 7,9)
- Whether we like it or not we will reap. Remember God is not mocked, you cannot fool him.
- There are many that believe they are getting away with wickedness, but the truth is God will have the last laugh (Proverbs 1:24-31)
- There are also many saved people today that are weary in sowing the right thing, but they must remember that they will reap in due season if they faint not.
2) You reap what you sow (verse 8)
- If you plant apple seeds you are not going to grow orange trees.
- If you sow wickedness and sin, then that is exactly what you are going to get. But if you sow righteousness and the word of God that is what you will reap.
3) You reap more than you sow (Hosea 8:7)
- When you sow an apple seed, and it produces an apple tree there will be hundreds more seed produced from the one seed you sowed.
- This is the scariest thought in sowing and reaping. Many times, we think the sin in our lives is small but think about the possibility it has in the principle of sowing and reaping.
- But the reverse of this is also true, imagine what God can produce if we are willing to sow a little righteousness instead of sin.
Some things we must consider when sowing?
1) Where to sow
- When sowing seeds, we have to consider the ground and climate. We must do the same when sowing for the Lord.
2) When to sow
- There are seasons for sowing and reaping, we must consider these as well when sowing for the Lord.
3) How to sow
- Certain ground can only take so much seed, we must be wise as well when sowing for the Lord.
Sowing and Reaping : Handout
1) What are some examples of how we can apply this passage spiritually in our lives?
2) List some basic principles of sowing and reaping.
3) What are some considerations we must make when sowing?