First of All
1 Tim 2:1-2
Paul exhorts us to do some things “first of all” in this passage. I Believe that this means that we should put some sort of priority on these things. He is instructing us in the various ways to communicate with God on behalf of all men, so that we may lead a quiet and peaceable life in all godliness and honesty. Let’s look at these things and see if we can make improvement.
Be made for: The Who
- [2 Pet.3:9] God is not willing that any should perish
- [Eze.33:11] he has no pleasure in the death of the wicked
- [1 Pet.2:17-18] Honor your President, and pray for him
- [Ex.22:28] thou shalt not revile (to address or speak of abusively) the gods, nor curse the ruler of thy people
- [Acts 23:1-5] Even Paul had his moments
All that are in authority
- [John 17:9] Don’t pray for the world. Or world peace!
- [Gen.3:17-19] This old earth is under a curse, I’ve read the book and know how it ends!
- Parents, teachers, employers and anyone who is over you is to be prayed for.
So that we may lead a: The Why
Quiet and Peaceable Life
- [Jer.29:7] You will have the quiet and peaceable life because you have prayed for those in authority
- If you do a word search in your Bible for “quiet” you will find the words secure, rest and at ease included in the passages.
In all godliness and honesty
- Godliness – You can live a God pleasing life, according to the Bible with no restraints
- Honesty – You need not hide or reduce your love for the Lord, and others witness Christ in you.
- [2 Cor.3:17] where the Spirit of the Lord is, there is liberty
- [Gal.5:1] This liberty has made us free from entanglement, [Gal.5:13] careful with the flesh
- [2 Pet.2:18-20] the world today professes this type of liberty, listen to any politician, stick with the Spirit of God and godliness and honesty.