In this sermon we are going to look at the subject of finding yourself. We are not talking about finding yourself in a worldly sense like most people use the phrase, but we will apply it spiritually to finding yourself as a saved person in Jesus Christ. In order to accomplish this we will try and answer 3 questions. Who is your life, where is your life, and what is your life?
How to find yourself:
1) Who is your life (verse 4)
- All life comes from Jesus Christ (John 1:1-9 ; John 14:6)
- Jesus Christ defeated death to bring us everlasting life (Hebrews 2:14 ; Revelation 1:18)
- Jesus ever lives to make intercession for us (Hebrews 7:25)
- The first step in finding ourselves is to realize that Jesus is the reason we exist at all and if we are saved the reason we have life.
2) Where is your life (verse 3)
- According to the verse it is hid with Christ in God.
- Proverbs 25:4 (Glory of God to conceal a thing)
- Note what Paul wanted the Ephesians to know (Ephesians 1:15-23 ; 3:13-17)
- It will be impossible to find ourselves if we do not look in the right place, and we cannot know Jesus Christ without knowing his word.
- This is the reason we are told to seek those things that are above (verse 1).
3) What is your life (verse 4)
- Note in the verse that when Christ appears we shall with him. Now I know the doctrinal application of this verse. But if we make a spiritual application then if we find Jesus showing up in our lives then we will find ourselves.
- The more we look at things above and see Jesus the more Jesus can show up in our lives.
- The things from the previous chapter like Enticing words (2:4), Philosophy and tradition (2:8) and rudiments of the world (2:20-23) will fall into place and we can live the lives that Jesus would have us to live.
- It is also interesting to see that the everyday things like being a husband, wife, father, mother, child, servant or whatever we do can be done for the Lord.
- We often think that living for the Lord and giving our lives to him means ministry and it can but at the same time if our life is hid with Christ and he appears in our lives then we can live for him whether we teach school, fight fires, fix cars, give health care etc. The key is living for God no matter what we do physically.
Let us look on the things above, set our affections there, and have Jesus Christ appear in our livers and then we may truly find ourselves and have the abundant life Jesus came to give us.