Don’t be a Scorner
The scorner is found many times in the word of God especially in the book of Proverbs. In this lesson we will look at what a scorner is, some characteristics of a scorner, judgment for a scorner and some areas where saved people can become scorners if they are not careful.
What is a scorner?
The word scorn has a couple of definitions we will look at two of them.
1) To laugh, mock or ridicule (Matthew 9:24 ; Mark 5:40)
2) Extreme contempt, disdain which comes from a person’s opinion of someone or an
object, consciousness or belief of a person’s own superiority or worth.
Although the first definition is used in the bible, we will refer to the second definition for this lesson. Obviously, a scorner would be one who scorns and in regards to the second definition one who thinks they are better than others, has disdain, or contempt for the one they think they are better than.
Characteristics of a scorner:
Within the book of Proverbs, we see many things said about the character of a scorner, we will make a chain reference below to show these things.
Proverbs 1:22 (A scorner delights in their scorning)
Proverbs 13:1 (A scorner heareth not rebuke)
Proverbs 14:6 (A scorner seeketh wisdom, and findeth it not)
Proverbs 15:12 (A scorner loveth not one that reproveth him)
Proverbs 19:28 (An ungodly witness scorneth judgment)
Proverbs 24:9 (The scorner is an abomination to men)
The problem with a scorner is that he must be dealt (Proverbs 22:10). And when you deal with a scorner the simple will be benefited (Proverbs 21:11) but remember when you do you will get a shame for dealing with him (Proverbs 9:7,8). This is because he will not hear rebuke as we saw in the list above.
Judgment for a scorner:
There are two verses in Proverbs that deal with the Judgment for a scorner. We will list these below and it is important to note that in the second one God is the one carrying out the judgment.
Proverbs 9:12 (If thou scornest thou alone shall bear it)
- Remember God will hold us personally accountable for our actions. You may have others that are scorning with you and helping you have the attitude of a scorner, but you alone will bear the consequences.
Proverbs 3:34 (Surely he scorneth the scorners)
- The he in this verse is God from the previous verse in Proverbs. Therefore, in this verse we see that God will repay the scorner with scorning. We would surely not want to have God scorn us.
Some things that we can be a scorner in if we are not careful:
We probably do not think of ourselves as scorners but many times it is just the opposite. Often saved people who have the right doctrine, bible, works, dress, music, etc. become scorners about those very things regarding others who do not. Let us look at some of these areas.
1) Our Doctrine (2 Timothy 3:16)
- As bible believers we have the correct doctrine when it comes to salvation, eternal security, the rapture and 2nd advent etc. but many times we become high minded and look down on those who may not have the right doctrine.
- Let us remember the characteristics and judgments above.
2) The Bible (Psalm 12:6-7)
- As bible believers we know the King James Bible is the true word of God without error and if we are not careful, we will become scorners in regards to those who do not have it.
- We must remember that there are some who simply do not know any better. And it would not surprise me at all to find some people carrying a NIV who love God more and have a better relationship with him than some who carry a King James Bible.
3) Our works (Ephesians 2:10)
- Many who are saved work hard for the Lord. Whether it be doing personal work, volunteering at church, teaching Sunday School, singing in the choir etc. If we are not careful, we can become down on those that think don’t do those things.
- We must remember that God has set the member in his body as it pleases him
(1 Corinthians 12). Just because we don’t see someone do works for God or the fact that they don’t talk about it all the time doesn’t mean they are out there doing them all the time.
We need to remember the example that Paul gave us of Jesus Christ in Philippians 2:1-8 and don’t be a scorner.
Don’t be a Scorner: Handout
1) What is a good definition for a scorner?
2) Make a chain reference for characteristics of a scorner?
3) What is the judgment for a scorner?
4) List some areas that we can become a scorner in regards to?
5) What is a good example from the Pauline epistles in regards to not being a scorner?