Genesis 6:9-22 Noah and the Ark CLICK TITLE FOR AUDIO
In this lesson, we will study Noah’s family, the corruption that was in the earth, the construction and typology of the ark, and the animals that were spared.
There are three outstanding characteristics of Noah:
- Perfect – like Job was (Job 1:1)
- Walked with God – like Enoch, his great grandfather, did
Perfect doesn’t mean “sinless,” but rather suitable and fitted for the job of constructing the ark and preaching righteousness (Heb. 11:7; 2 Pet. 2:5; comp. Lk.13:32).
He had three sons: Japheth (the elder – Gen. 10:21, the father of the Europeans); Shem (the middle – Gen. 11:10, the father of the Asians); Ham (the younger – Gen. 9:24, the father of the Africans). We’ll study the nations in Gen. 10.
The Corrupt Earth
The fall not only affected us but also all of creation. In Rom.8:19-23, we find all creation groaning and travailing waiting for redemption at the Second Coming of Jesus Christ. The stars are not pure (Job 25:5) and the heavenly host will be punished (Is. 24:21).
Here are some facts about the construction of the ark.
- Gopher wood is cypress or cedar.
- Pitch is resin or asphalt.
- A cubit (the length of a man’s forearm) is 18”. Then the ark was 450’ long, 75’wide, and 45’ high. The cubit may have been larger, since there were giants in those days.
- The window was near the top for ventilation.
- The door allowed access to all three floors of the ark for loading and unloading.
Here is some of the typology of the ark.
- The trees from which the ark was made were living organisms that had to die to save Noah and his family. There’s a strong resemblance to Jesus Christ, therefore, who had to die to save us from our sins.
- The door gave access to the ark that saved them. Jesus said, “I am the door.”
- The window in the top matches the windows of heaven (Gen. 7:11).
- The three stories match theTempleand the Tabernacle (three places: outer court, holy place and the most holy place) and the Universe (three heavens, 2 Cor. 12:2).
- Everything in the ark survived, just like everyone in Christ lives. Everything outside of the ark perished, just like all without Christ die and perish in a lake of fire.
The Animals That Were Spared
Some disbelieve the record of the ark because it was not big enough to hold two of every kind of animal and seven (Gen. 7:2) of all the clean animals. However, the whole earth was populated by just 3 boys and their 3 wives (Gen. 9:19). Likewise, all of the animals within each species (i.e., canine, feline, etc.) came from just 3 pairs. The many varieties came from cross breeding.
The food was all herbs, straw, hay, fruit, grains, and nuts (Gen. 1:29-30). The diet of flesh didn’t start until after the flood (Gen. 9:3).