Matt 9:1-13 The Great Physician CLICK TITLE FOR AUDIO
Jesus said in verse 12, “They that be whole need not a physician, but they that are sick.” People go to the doctor when they are sick. Therefore, we went to Jesus because we were sick. From this text we see the areas of our sickness.
1. Sick Bodies – 9:2 – Our bodies get sick with disease. This fellow was sick with the palsy, which is a muscular disease. He had it so bad he couldn’t walk. We find all kinds of physical ailments in the Bible:
§ Palsy, Matt 8:6
§ Leprosy, Matt 8:2
§ Fever, Matt 8:14
§ Bleeding, Matt 9:20
§ Blindness, Matt 9:27
§ Withered hand, Matt 12:10
§ Devil possession, Matt 12:22 (blind and dumb)
§ Every sickness and every disease, Matt 9:35
And what does the Great Physician do to our bodies? He heals them 9:6
But not all of our sicknesses are apparent. We have:
2. Sick Souls – 9:2 – Our souls are sick with sin Rom 3:23, 3:10. This fellow had sins that needed to be dealt with, whereas his friends only saw his bodily disease. There are many sins that are not obvious: envy, pride, jealousy, anger, covetousness, lust, bitterness, and so forth. And what does the Great Physician do to our sins? He forgives them 1 Tim 1:15, Col 1:14.
3. Sick Hearts – 9:3-8 – Our hearts are sick with evil and wickedness Mk 7:21-23. The scribes, in their hearts, accused Jesus of blasphemy, because he forgave the man’s sins. That’s something only God can do Mk 2:7. Of course, Jesus is God. Thus they were accusing him of something of which they were guilty Mk 3:28-30. And what does the Great Physician do to our hearts? He cleanses them Ps 51:10.
4. Sick Natures – 9:9-10 – Our natures are sick from the fall of Adam 1 Cor 2:14. Matthew and the publicans were motivated by the love of money which is the root of all evil 1 Tim 6:10, Lk 3:12-13. By nature we are corrupt and seek those things that are corrupt 1 Cor 15:50. And what does the Great Physician do to our natures? He changes them 2 Cor 5:17.
5. Sick Minds – 9:11 – Our minds are sick because of the influences of the devil in this world 2 Cor 4:4. The Pharisees criticized Jesus because they had respect of persons Jas 2:1-4. Their minds thought evil thoughts towards those who needed Jesus. And what does the Great Physician do to our minds? He restores them
6. Sick Spirits – 9:12-13 – Our spirits were sick because we were lost Eph 2:1. The Pharisees thought that by doing something (sacrifices) they could change what they were (sinners). But that’s not possible. You can’t change what you are by changing what you do. So what does the Great Physician do to our spirits? He renews them Ps 51:10, Eph 4:23 by saving us Jn 3:5-7.