Genesis 2:11-12 The Gold of Havilah CLICK TITLE FOR AUDIO
There is a strange reference to gold right after God’s explanation that the man was “formed of the dust of the ground,” (Gen. 2:7). After checking some of the cross references, you are left with the distinct impression that God created Adam with a pure gold body, that would never corrupt or die. Of course, the fall of Adam and Eve changed all of that. This is not an absolute doctrinal statement that man was made out of gold.
MADE IN GOD’S IMAGE
When Jesus Christ’s body appears in it’s glory, it radiates with the brightness of the sun. Matt 17:2; Mal. 4:2; Ps. 19:4-6; and Rev. 1:16 are references to the glorious appearing of the Lord Jesus Christ. Every reference compares his brightness to the sun. When we refer to the sun rising, we speaking of the “golden” daybreak. The sun shines with the brilliance of gold. And we were made in God’s image.
MAN COMES FORTH AS GOLD
Job, Jeremiah, the Apostle John, Isaiah, Paul and David all make reference to men compared to or associated with gold.
- Job 23:10, “…when he hath tried me, I shall come forth as gold.”
- Is. 13:12, “I will make a man more precious than fine gold; even a man than the golden wedge of Ophir.”
- Lam. 4:2, “The precious sons of Zion, comparable to fine gold…”
- Ps. 45:9, “…upon thy right hand did stand the queen in goldof Ophir.” (Reference to the Bride of Christ.)
- Rev. 3:18, “I counsel thee to but of me gold tried in the fire, that thou mayest be rich.”
- 2 Tim 2:20,21, “But in a great house there are not only vessels of gold and silver, but also of wood and earth; and some to honour, and some to dishonour. If a man therefore purge himself from these, he shall be a vessel unto honour.”
In Heaven, the city is pure gold and it is clear as glass (Rev. 21:18). The street is also pure gold and it is transparent as glass (Rev. 21:21). So, why not the saints that are in the city?
Oddly enough, when the alchemists (ancient philosophers and chemists) were looking for a medicine that would give men the ability to live forever, they experimented with gold in a liquid form that could be ingested to cure all of the ailments and diseases that kill people. They thought eternal life was associated with gold. Indeed, it is. However, they missed the fact that a man has to trust Jesus Christ as his Saviour, first. Then, when Christ gives him his glorified body, fit for eternity, he will have his golden body, which will never die, never sin, never get sick and never grow old.