Life is not a game, but it has many Similarities
The context of the passage is a young man who is enticed and commits fornication with a woman who is being unfaithful to her husband. What is interesting is that in verse 22&23 he goes after her until a dart strikes through his liver, and as a bird hasteth to the snare. But the sad thing is that he knows not that it is for his life.
Many young people today have played so many video games and sports until they have the mentality that life is just a game. But life is not a game, it may have some similarities, but it is way more serious than a game.
Differences between real life and games:
1) There is no pause button to use until you figure out what to do next or simple want to take a break.
2) There is no restart button for when you mess up, lose, or get killed.
3) There are no extra lives once you use the one you have that is it.
4) When the game is over you are dead.
Similarities between real life and games:
1) Games have instructions and rules (Proverbs 6:23)
- Instructions and rules are for a twofold purpose.
1. Guide You 2. Protect You
- What you do with the instructions will determine how well you play the game. (Proverbs 1:8-9)
2) Following the rules keeps you in the game (Proverbs 3:2 ; 4:10,22)
- The more we follow God’s word the longer and happier our lives can be.
- The word of God speaks of dying before your time (Ecclesiastes 7:17).
3) Games have a course or a path (Proverbs 2:19 ; 5:6)
- The path must be pondered in light of the instruction and the word of God.
- What is your path and is God involved at all.
4) Games have dangers and traps (Proverbs 1:10-19)
- In a game if we lose or get taken out it is ok, there will be another game, but in life this is not the case. (Proverbs 13:14 ; 14:27)
5) Games have winners and losers and so does life (Proverbs 4:23)
- In life it is about where your heart is (Proverbs 23:6).
- Who has yours?????
Life is not a game, but it has many Similarities: Handout
1) What is the context of this passage and how does it relate to this lesson?
2) What are some things about games (think video) that not true about life?
3) Give and outline for similarities between real life and games.