What is a Testimony
First let us look at the definition of the word testimony from the dictionary.
Testimony – A solemn declaration of affirmation made for the purpose of establishing or proving some fact.
Open attestation, profession.
The testimony of Lord and Jesus Christ are found in his word, and they are definitely true.
How is the word testimony used in the word of God?
1) Ark of the testimony (Exodus 25:22)
- This is where God meet with Israel and dealt with their sin.
2) Tables of Testimony (Exodus 31:18)
- These were the ten commandments, which were apart of God’s law.
3) Example or Custom (Ruth 4:7)
- In this passage we see something that is a custom used as a testimony to represent a fact.
4) Testimony of Jesus Christ (2 Timothy 1:8)
- This is the truth about the gospel of Jesus Christ.
5) Personal Testimony (Hebrews 11:5)
- This is the personal testimony of Enoch. It is a statement of truth about how he lived his life.
We are told that as saved people we should have a good testimony for the Lord Jesus Christ. To do this we will need to incorporate each of the things above.
How can I be a good testimony?
1) Spend time with God (Exodus 25:22)
- Daily prayer and bible reading is a must if you are going to be a good testimony. This is where you not only deal with sin but also where you get your strength from.
- You can tell others about Jesus Christ every day, but if you are not spending any time with him your witness will not be very effective.
2) Follow God’s word (Exodus 31:18)
- If we follow God’s word, we will be a good example to those around us. If we do not follow God’s word, then our witness will be ineffective.
3) Have a different custom (Ruth 4:7)
- Saved person you are not of the world anymore and you should be different in your actions and lifestyle.
- You do not have to be purposely strange but there should be something different in you that the lost people can see and want.
4) Have the testimony of the Lord (2 Timothy 1:8)
- This would include being saved but it also relates to suffering for the Lord after Salvation. (1 Peter 2:21 ; 4:1,13,16)
5) Please God (Hebrews 11:5)
- We please God by doing all the above. This includes speaking up for him, living right, following authority, and be a good example.
Therefore, let us have a testimony as Enoch and please the Lord!
What is a Testimony: Handout
1) What is man’s definition of testimony and how can we apply this to the word of God?
2) How does the word of God use the word testimony?
3) What are some ways that we can have a good testimony?