What is Left Hanging in the Tree
(2 Samuel 18: 9-18)
In the Bible Absalom is a type of the anti-christ. This can be clearly seen from the passage regarding his death. In this sermon we will compare Absalom as a type of the anti-christ to Jesus and make a spiritual connection to us regarding our live and what we leave behind when we die.
Absalom compared with Jesus Christ:
1) Rode upon a mule just as Jesus rode upon the colt the foal of an ass (Matthew 21:4-5)
- Riding mules related to being the King (1 Kings 1:31-33).
2) Absalom hung from a tree just as Jesus was crucified on the cross (the cross is made from the tree).
3) Absalom was pierced through the heart with 3 darts. Jesus was pierced in the side with a spear on the cross (John 19:33-34).
4) Absalom is thrown into a pit in the woods. Jesus went to both paradise (Luke 23:43) and hell (Acts 2:30-31) during the 3 days before his resurrection.
5) Absalom went to his own place (verse 18). Jesus overcame death and hell for us (Acts 2:24 ; Revelation 1:18)
Both of these men were cursed (Deuteronomy 21:23 ; Galatians 3:13) but the difference is the fruit of their life, or what their lives and death accomplished.
How does this apply to us?
1) We are cursed from birth (Romans 3:23 ; Romans 5:12), riding the mule called Time. One day like Absalom we will be lifted up and the mule called Time will march on.
2) Just like Adam (Genesis 2:17) the difference will be decided by a tree. Will you choose Jesus and the tree of life or Satan and the tree that brings death? (Note: John 12:24)
3) What will be left hanging on the tree when you die, any fruit or just a dead body? (Genesis 1:22,28 ; Colossians 1:10 ; John 15:8)