The Value of a Gift
Since today is the first Sunday of the New Year (January 2 2022), it is a good time to consider the subject of gifts. Over the last several weeks there have been many gifts given and many gifts received. You may have received an extremely special gift this year or maybe not but chances are you received something from someone this past Christmas.
What makes a gift valuable? It is not what it cost but what it means to the person who has it and also what can be accomplished with it. This is shown to us by the Proverb for this lesson. In this lesson we will look at gifts that come from God as well as gifts that are given to us by people in regard to how they can be used by God.
Three things to note from Proverbs 17:8:
1) A gift is as a precious stone.
- When we think of precious stones we think of diamonds, rubies, sapphires etc.
- Now do you ever consider the value of gifts that you have received?
2) The value is in the eye of the beholder.
- Note in this verse that the gift is considered as a precious jewel in the eyes of the one that possess it.
3) A gift can bring return if valued.
- According to the Proverb when a gift is valued, it is profitable in every way it is used.
How can our gifts be profitable?
1) Realize where they come from (Eccl 3:13 ; Eccl 5:19 ; James 1:17)
- No matter what the gift in reality everything we have comes from God.
2) Value our gift (Proverbs 17:8)
- Whether it be a gift card, money, clothing, or something like talents and abilities given to us by God we must realize their value if they are going to be profitable.
3) Use them (1 Timothy 4:14 ; 1 Peter 4:10)
- Gifts must be used they cannot stay in the box and accomplish anything for God.
Let us think about what gifts we have and see if there is a way we can use them for God and let him make them prosper as he sees fit in this New Year.
The Value of a Gift : Handout
1) Name some of the gifts that you received for Christmas this year.
2) What is the most valuable gift you have received outside of salvation?
3) What are three important things we see from Proverbs 17:8?
4) How can we make the gifts we have profitable unto God?