Ephesians 1:1-6 Spiritual Blessings CLICK TITLE FOR AUDIO
Paul writes this letter primarily to Christians: he addresses the “saints,” “faithful” (v. 1).
He offers them the “grace” and peace of God which is typical of his letters (v. 2). Grace comes from God and Jesus Christ as supernatural strength from God in areas of our weakness.
We are blessed with spiritual blessings in heavenly places in Christ (v. 3), Eph 2:6. We’ll deal with those spiritual blessings but first we want to see the BASIS of those blessings.
There are three things that he chose before the world for those who are IN HIM (v. 4). He did not choose who would be saved and who would not, but rather he chose that if you are IN HIM then these three things are true by his decision before the foundation of the world:
Holy and without blame before him in love(v. 4)
- We aren’t now and couldn’t be without his blood and grace
- I Thes 5:23
- Eph 5:25-27
Adoption of Children(v. 5)
- Started out in the only other spiritual family there is – the Devil’s
- Jn 8:44
- I Jn 3:10
- Eph 3:1-2
- Adopted into God’s family with the promise that we get more at redemption, Rom 8:23, 17-18
Accepted in the beloved (v. 6)
- Was not Adam’s sacrifice accepted following sin?
- II Cor 5:18
- He accepts us by His grace for what we are
WE RECEIVE NONE OF THESE APART FROM THE GRACE OF GOD
Now, based on these three truths, he gives us the SPIRITUAL BLESSINGS of v. 3 in Christ.
- Assurance of salvation – we have passed from death unto life
- Access to the throne – Heb 4:16
- Grace – II Cor 12
- Love for the Word
- Understanding of the Word
- Comfort of the Holy Spirit
- Provisions – All you need and His Promises
- Chastening – Heb 12