A Child is Born and a Son is Given (Part 2)
In the first part of this lesson, we looked at how this verse shows Deity of Jesus Christ. We also connected it with the virgin birth which doctrinally shows us how Jesus could be God manifest in the flesh. In this lesson we are going to focus on the word give and show how the first time the word shows up in a King James Bible it is connected with a type of Jesus Christ. As we will see in this lesson this makes perfect sense because Jesus was the greatest gift ever given.
First Occurrence for the Word Give
The first time the word is used in a King James Bible is in Genesis 1:15. What is going on in this passage? This is where God created the Sun, Moon, and Stars on the fourth day of the recreation. Their purpose was to give light upon the earth. This is interesting that the first occurrence of the word give is connected to light being given upon the earth. We know that the Sun is the source of our light and the Sun is a type of Jesus Christ (Psalm 19:1-6 ; Malachi 4:2)
Jesus is the Light of the world and light is connected with life:
- Psalm 27:1 (The Lord is my light and my Salvation)
- Psalm 36:9 (The fountain of life connected with the life of God)
- John 1:4 (In Jesus was life and the life was the light of men)
- John 1:9 (Jesus is the True Light)
- John 8:12 (I am the Light of the World)
People say that life is the most precious gift and Jesus is the light and the life.
The Practical Application of Giving light upon the Earth (John 3:17-21)
The Light that God brought forth on day one is not the Sun (Psalm 74:16). This light is going to connected with God himself or possibly even Jesus Christ. When this light shows up it divides the light from the darkness.
When Jesus came to this earth he shinned in darkness and the darkness did not comprehend it (John 1:5). Today the world is a dark place but Jesus came that we could have light. The truth is that men love darkness rather than light therefore they are in condemnation (John 3:19-21).
Through the gift of Salvation in the Lord Jesus Christ we do not have to be darkness we can be light and the children of the light (Ephesians 5:8). The greatest gift ever given is which in essence is Jesus Christ.
A Child is Born and a Son is Given (Part 2) : Handout
1) Where in the Bible does the word give occur for the first time?
2) What is going on in connection with the word give in the above passage?
3) How is Jesus Christ connected to light and life?
4) Give a practical application Jesus as the light being given.