Liberty in Christ
In this lesson we are going to study some of the things that Jesus Christ has made us free from. When we think about liberty we usually think about freedom. While we cannot just do whatever we want as a saved person there are many things that Jesus Christ has made us free from. Let us look to the word of God and see what we are free from and how we can stand fast in this liberty.
In the verse for our study we are told to stand fast. What does that mean? It means to stand firm or be grounded in our stance upon a subject. There are many today that are not firm on what they believe therefore they cannot stand fast. If we are going to stand fast in the Liberty that Jesus has given to us then we are going to have to know the things that Jesus has made us free from. We must also remember that this freedom or liberty is connected with Salvation. This liberty comes through having the Spirit of God (2 Corinthians 3:17).
Three things that Jesus has made us free from:
1) The Law (Galatians 5:1-4)
- The Galatians were trying to go back under the law after being saved by grace through faith. This is why Paul is telling them that Jesus has made them free from the Law.
- Remember that the Law was given to show man that he was a sinner (Romans 7:7).
- As a result of the death, burial and resurrection we are no longer under the law for salvation.
2) Sin (Romans 6:18)
- When Jesus was on the cross he became sin for us so that we could have his righteousness (2 Corinthians 5:21).
- As a result of being born in the image of Adam we are sinners under the condemnation of death (Romans 5:12-21).
- Jesus Christ freed us from this sin by dying in our place.
3) Death (Hebrews 2:14-15)
- Jesus delivered us from the penalty of sin which is death. While it is true we might still die physically we will suffer the second death which is the Lake of Fire.
Note the progression in this liberty, the law shows us we are sinners, as sinners we are under the penalty of sin, but in Jesus Christ we have freedom from these things. If you are lost you are a servant to sin, if you are saved you are a servant of righteousness. You are going to serve someone or something it might as well be Jesus Christ and have the liberty of life.
Liberty in Christ : Handout
1) What is synonymous with liberty and how does it relate to Jesus Christ?
2) What does it mean to stand fast?
3) Why do we have liberty in Christ?
4) What are 3 things that Jesus Christ has made us free from?