How to Care for the Spirit of Man
2 Corinthians 7:1
In the previous lesson we study how the spirit of man is also connected with the action of the flesh and therefore must be ruled. The lesson ended by making mention of the fact that the spirit just like the flesh can become filthy. In this lesson we will discuss how to take care of the spirit.
In 2 Corinthians 7:1 the spirit needs to be cleansed from filthiness just as the flesh. There is an example of this found for us in the Old Testament. When David had sinned in regards to Bathsheba and Uriah he wrote a Psalm in regards to his repentance in these matters. In that Psalm he said “renew a right spirit within me” (Psalm 51:10). His spirit had been defiled through the sin and it needed renewing. The same thing happens to us which is why Paul said that our spirit needed cleansing. From this we see two things concerning our spirit, they are as follows;
- Our spirit can be defiled needing cleansed.
- Our spirit can be a right spirit and a wrong spirit. Sin will lead us to have a wrong spirit.
Another reason that we must be concerned about this matter is because our spirit and flesh together can be very deceiving to us. Proverbs 16:2 is a good verse on this because it says that what man does is usually right in his eyes, but note that it is the Lord that weigheth the spirit.
How to care for the spirit:
1) We have to realize the battle with the spirit (2 Corinthians 10:3-5)
- Remember that we are not just talking about the Holy Spirit when it comes to spiritual warfare but we are battling with our spirit as well.
- We must fight in the power of the Holy Spirit (Ephesians 6:10-11) but we must keep our spirit clean and in fellowship with the Holy Spirit to accomplish this.
- Note the spiritual armor given in Ephesians 6:14-17, each one will be connected with our spirit in some way.
- Loins girt with truth
- John 6:63 (The word Jesus spoke are spirit and life)
- Breastplate of righteousness
- Psalm 51:10 (We must have a right spirit with heart for God)
- Feet shod with Gospel of Peace
- Romans 8:11 (The same spirit that raised up Jesus will raise us up, and we must walk in this spirit)
- Shield of Faith
- 2 Timothy 1:7 (We are not given the spirit of fear but of power)
- Helmet of Salvation
- Romans 8:16 (The spirit bears witness that we are the children of God)
- Sword of the Spirit
- 2 Thess. 2:8 (anti-christ is consumed with spirit out of the mouth of the Lord)
2) Learn what affects our spirit negatively and avoid it (Proverbs 17:27 ; Job 28:28)
Examples : Entertainment (1 Samuel 17:14-23 ; Ephesians 5:19 ; Colossians 3:16).
People (Proverbs 22:24-25)
Places (Acts 17:16)
3) When it gets defiled, get it cleansed (2 Corinthians 7:1)
These are some simple steps that will help us take heed to our spirit and in the process of doing so help us when it comes to spiritual warfare.
How to Care for the Spirit of Man : Handout
2 Corinthians 7:1
1) What can we see from the verse for this study?
2) How is Proverbs 16:2 important to this study?
3) Make an outline for how we can care for our spirit?