In the verse for this lesson we find the only place in a King James Bible where the word success is written. The important thing for us to see is that it is directly connected with reading, thinking about, and doing the word of God. This would not be the worldly guidelines for success but it is God’s guidelines. We must have the same courage that Joshua had and follow God’s word to have success in our lives.
Worldly view of success :
1) Making a name for yourself.
- This is the same as being famous. The problem with fame is that it can be the wrong kind of fame. For instance every know Judas he is very famous but he is famous for betraying Jesus Christ.
2) Making a lot of money.
- In 1 Timothy 6:9-10 we see the grave danger in having a lot of money.
3) Having a lot of possessions
- Jesus gives a parable in Luke 12:15-34 about the possessions of a rich man.
4) Being highly educated.
- Solomon was the wisest man that ever lived. He also had the above three things in this list. Yet he let his wives turn his heart from God and the kingdom was divided after him. (1 Kings 11:1-8).
Following these example we can clearly see that the worlds view of success is not all that it is cracked up to be.
Biblical view of Success :
1) Having a good name (Proverbs 22:1-4)
- In this verse a good name is said to be better than the things listed above. What good does it do you to have money or fame if your name is mud? Sure there will always be some people that would like you but really they just hang around because of what the money and fame could do for them.
2) Having a good testimony (Hebrews 11:5)
- Part of having a good name will be having a good testimony. Would it not be nice to know that after you dead there is a good legacy of your name or that you made a difference in someone’s life.
3) Dying well (Genesis 25:7-8 ; 1 Chronicles 29:28)
- Both Abraham and David were said to have died in a “good old age”. This might not mean as much to a young person at the moment but the older you get the more important this becomes.
4) Having eternal life (1 John 5:13)
- One of the greatest successes in life is knowing that when you die you will go to heaven and not to hell. This is why Jesus said what he did in Mark 8:36-37.
How can we have this kind of Biblical Success?
The answer to this question is found in Joshua 1:9. We must hear or read the word of the Lord, we must meditate and think about the word of the Lord, and we must follow what the word of the Lord says. It is that simple.
Joshua’s Success : Handout
1) Why is Joshua 1:8 such an important verse in the word of God?
2) What is the worldly view of success?
3) What is the Biblical view of Success?
4) What is the key to having biblical success?