Why Should We Serve God
The passage for this lesson is a very famous passage from the word of God. In this passage we see the three Hebrew Children (Shadrach, Meshach, and Abed-nego) thrown into the fiery furnace for refusing to worship the Image that King Nebuchadnezzar had set up.
In their answer to the King as to why they would not worship the image we can learn some reasons for why we should serve God. Shadrach, Meshach and Abed-nego make good examples for young people today in regards to serving God because as God’s children they were young, in a foreign land, and tempted to break God’s law and serve idols. This is the same thing that teenagers face every day if they are saved and trying to live for God in this wicked world.
Why should we serve God?
1) Because he is the True God (verse 17)
- Note they said “our God”. This is important for two reasons. First they were distinguishing him from the other gods that the Babylonians worshipped. Second he was a personal God to them. For many teens God is real but not really personal. He is their parents God. When God becomes personal to you then it will change the way you serve him.
- Note in 1 Thessalonians 1:9 he is the true God. You will either serve the real God or a fake one. Why would anyone want to serve a god who is fake.
2) Out of fear (verse 16)
- In verse 16 we see that the three Hebrew children did not fear the king but they did fear God (Ecclesiastes 12:13 ; Hebrews 12:28)
- Fear is a great motivator and in spite of what modern day psychologist and preachers say a fear of God is not only necessary but it is helpful.
3) Because it is right (verse 17-18)
- Whether God delivered them from the burning fiery furnace or not they were going to serve God because it was the right thing to do. If only serve God for rewards something is wrong. Sometimes we just have to do what is right whether we are rewarded or not.
- In Romans 14:17-18 the first thing we are to serve God in is righteousness. This is doing what is right.
4) Because God said so (verse 18)
- All things aside the three Hebrew children knew what the first and second commandment was and God had simply told them to serve him and not any other God.
- We also instructed to serve God and to do it with the right attitude and motives (Colossians 3:17-25)
Let us be like the 3 Hebrew children and serve God in the world we inhabit today!
Why Should We Serve God : Handout
1) What is going on in the passage for this lesson?
2) Why are the three Hebrew Children a good example for us in regards to service?
3) What are some reasons for why we should serve the God?