Satan’s Hidden Influence Lesson #3
The Spirit World
In this lesson we are going to look at the spirit world. In the previous lesson we saw how Satan and his devils are connected with “gods” and how he has used those to influence mankind. Here we will look at the same devils at work through spiritual things and also the deception that Satan has given to make people believe that these are make believe when in reality they are very real.
Two Passages That Show Us the Spirit World :
1) Ephesians 6:12 (Spiritual wickedness in high Places)
- Many people believe that this is a reference to world rulers, presidents, governors, politicians etc. While there are definitely wicked men ruling and governing today, this verse is talking about something else. This is clearly shown in Isaiah 24:21.
- Remember Satan domain is primarily the second heaven and that is where devils and other spirits associated with him abide. This is why the book of Job said that the stars are not clear in his sight (Job25:5).
2) 2 Kings 6:13-17 (The servant of Elisha sees into the spirit world)
- Elisha and his servant are surrounded by the Syrian army and the servant is very scared. Elisha prays to God and asks him to open the eyes of his servant. When the servants eyes are opened then he sees that the mountains are full of horses and chariots of fire.
This brings up the thought that if God has angels, horses, and chariots of fire and Satan also has spirits and devils to use then how can we tell the difference between whether it is a God or the devil who is trying to influence us? The answer is simple we try the spirits (1 John 4:1). The Holy Spirit will never contradict the word of God. If you are being persuaded to do something and you are not sure which spirit is behind it you will have to try it by the word of God.
Biblical Names For Those Working Through Unclean Spirits :
Below we see a list of names and references that the word of God gives for those working through unclean or evil spirits.
1) Wise Men, Magicians, Sorcerer (Exodus 7:11)
2) Witch (Exodus 22:18)
3) Devils (Leviticus 17:7 ; Deuteronomy 32:17)
4) Familiar Spirit (Leviticus 20:27)
5) Observer of Times, Necromancer, Wizard, Charmer, Diviners (Deuteronomy 18:10-14)
6) Astrologer (Daniel 1:20)
7) Stargazer, Monthly Prognosticators (Isaiah 47:13)
Now many people do not believe that this sort of thing is real but as we will see from a couple of examples from the word of God there is more to the spirit world than most people believe.
1) The witch at Endor (1 Samuel 28:15)
- Here Saul consults with a witch to bring up Samuel because the Lord will not answer his prayer.
- The witch raises brings up Samuel and finds out the man she is dealing with is Saul.
- I do not pretend to understand everything going on in this passage but I believe the word of God. This is enough to keep me from fooling with things associated with the spirit world because not everything is make believe as Hollywood would have us to believe.
2) Paul and the girl possessed with the spirit of divination (Acts 16:16-24)
- In this passage there is a girl who is possessed by a spirit of divination. She is telling the future and her masters are making money off her.
- The power comes from the spirit that is in her and Paul cast out that spirit.
- When her masters see that their money wagon is gone they have Paul and Silas thrown into jail.
With these two examples it should be clear that Satan and his devils or unclean spirits have power. I know this power is still limited by what God allows, but none the less they are still capable of doing things.
Today people profess to be witches, play with Ouija boards, and other such spiritual practices thinking that it is harmless or not real. This has come through years of Hollywood portraying this stuff as fake when in reality Satan is behind the scenes with the hidden influence accomplishing his plans. Because in reality Satan is getting the world ready for when the anti-christ and the false prophet show up during the Tribulation and start performing miracles (Revelation 13:1-18)
Do I believe every ghost story, fortune teller, medium or myth is true? No, but the spirit world is real and is not to be played with or treated lightly.
Satan’s Hidden Influence Lesson #3 : Hanodut
The Spirit World
1) What is the spiritual wickedness in high places in Ephesians 6:12 talking about?
2) What is happening in 2 Kings 6:13-17 in regards to the spirit world?
3) How can we try the spirits?
4) Give two examples of the things in Handout 1 being done in the word of God.