Creation Lesson #5 (Genesis 2:7,21-25)
In Genesis 2 God goes back and gives some specific details about the days of creation in chapter one. This is not an additional creation or something new but here God tells us exactly how he did certain things.
Now we are not necessarily going to study the chapter verse by verse or even in order. In this lesson we are going to look specifically at the creation of man and woman who were created on the 6th day in chapter one. The verses we will use from chapter two are verses 7 and 21-15.
The Creation of Man : (Genesis 2:7)
Verse 7 “And the LORD God formed man of the dust of the ground, and breathed into his nostrils the breath of life; and man became a living soul.”
Therefore man is a 3 part being (1 Thessalonians 5:23 ; Hebrews 4:12)
- Body (dust of the ground)
- Soul (living soul)
- Spirit (breath of life)
Now this makes sense because God is a 3 part being (God the Father, God the Son, and God the Holy Spirit) and remember that Adam is created in God’s image and likeness. (Genesis 1:26)
The Body :
- The body is the easy part to understand it is the flesh. Just look in the mirror and there it is.
The Soul :
- The soul is the real you. The soul has a bodily shape. Therefore when we die the flesh goes to dust but it is the soul that goes to heaven or hell depending on whether a person is saved or lost.
- In Luke 16:19-31 we see that the rich man was buried (his flesh in the ground) but in hell he lifted up his eyes in torments. His soul was what was in hell and note that it had eyes, a tongue, and he could remember. He also was concerned about his brethren still on earth.
- Also in Revelations 6:9-11 white robes are said to be given to souls.
- We may not fully understand it but the soul is a bodily form and in a since it is like the flesh is clothing for the soul.
The Spirit :
- The spirit is a little harder to identify. In some places it is connected with wind or air. Job 27:3 ; Ecclesiastes 3:21, 12:7 ; John 3:6-8
- The spirit is also connected with the mind although it is not the mind itself as the rich man had his mind in hell. (1 Corinthians 2:11 ; Ephesians 4:23)
- At death whether saved or lost the spirit goes back to God who gave it. (Ecclesiastes 12:7)
The Creation of Woman : (Genesis 2:21-25)
Even though woman is created on the 6th day (Genesis 1:27) she is not created in the same way as Adam. Here in chapter 2 we are given the specifics of how God created woman and everything has significance.
In verses 18-20 of chapter 2 we see that God said “It is not good that man should be alone; I will make him an help meet for him.”
So here we see the original purpose of the woman was to be a Help Meet. That is why we have proverbs like Proverbs 18:22 ; 19:14.If one would like to see the perfect help meet look at the virtuous woman in Proverbs 31:10-31.
In verses 21-22 of chapter 2 we see the creation of the woman.
- Note God put Adam to sleep. Here is the first surgery.
- Adam is a type of Jesus Christ. Sleep here is a type of death, just as Adam dies to get his bride Jesus Christ died to get his bride (the church). Ephesians 5:25
- Notice that God took woman out of Adam’s side. She is not to be over the man nor is she to be under his foot, but she is to beside the man. Remember the help meet.
- Now this is why in many cultures when a man and woman are married they stand side by side.
In verses 23-25 we see the description of Biblical marriage.
- Notice that Adam said that his wife is bone of his bone and flesh of his flesh.
- Woman means man with a womb.
- Cleave means join together and notice they become one flesh.
- In the Bible marriage is flesh joining flesh. Matthew 19:3-6 ; 1 Corinthians 6:15-18
- This is why fornication is such a horrible sin in the Bible. 1 Corinthians 6:15-18
- If Adam is a type of Jesus Christ then his wife is a type of the Church.
So Adam and his wife are created sinless in the image of God and are perfect until they sin. They also have no knowledge of sin and that is why they are not ashamed of their nakedness. (verse 25)
Creation Lesson #5 (Genesis 2:7,21-25)
1) Which verse in chapter 2 shows us that man is a 3 part being and give 2 more references to prove this.
2) What are the 3 parts of man and how would you describe what they are?
3) What part of man is it that goes to heaven or hell depending on whether he is saved or not?
4) Why did God create the woman for Adam?
5) How did God create the woman?
6) What can we see from the fact that the woman was made from a rib out of Adam’s side?
7) Why is it significant that Adam was put to sleep to get his bride?
8) What is Adam a type of?
9) What is his wife a type of?
10) What is Biblical marriage? Give references.