The Next Right Step Luke 17: 11-19 CLICK TITLE FOR AUDIO
It’s a new year, and don’t you want to do better than last year? Sometimes you just need to take the next right step. Very often, when giving counsel, we encourage the person to just take “the next right step”. In this passage, there are some “next right steps” that I believe will be a help to us.
Truly Admit Who You Are
- Sinner (typology of leprosy)
- Starts out very small (rising, scab or bright spot)
- Pretty advanced by the time it shows (raw flesh)
- Biblically you are to be separated, separates you from God
- [ Isaiah 59:2]
“But your iniquities have separated between you and your God, and your sins have hid his face from you, that he will not hear”. “stood afar off”
- It takes a supernatural cure!
- Smartian (verse 16)
- [Matthew 10:5-6] “These twelve Jesus sent forth, and commanded them, saying, Go not into the way of the Gentiles, and into any city of the Samaritans enter ye not:
But go rather to the lost sheep of the house of Israel.”
You are not naturally born into the right family, “Salvation is of the Jews”, is what the Lord told the Samaritan woman at the well.
- Stranger (verse 18)
- [Ephesians 2:12] “ That at that time ye were without Christ, being aliens from the commonwealth of Israel, and strangers from the covenants of promise, having no hope, and without God in the world: “
- You will meet up with him (verse 12)
- [Romans 14:11] “ For it is written, As I live, saith the Lord, every knee shall bow to me, and every tongue shall confess to God.
- [Hebrews 9:27] “ And as it is appointed unto men once to die, but after this the judgment:
- Gospel Plea for the unsaved! Truly Admit who you are!
Illustration: Me and my Rott
- Gus is the third one I have had
- All three have been different
- Roman, the last, was the greatest
- Gus has a very strong will
- I provide everything for his existence
- Yet he willfully disobeys me
- I often think “Who does he think he is”?
- I believe that God looks at me and must say the same, often
- Christian, I don’t know where you are or what issues you have but, maybe the “next right step” for you is to remember who you are!!!
Truly Acknowledge Who He Is
- Jesus – Savior, who died for your sins
- Master – Lord of lords (whether you acknowledge it or not)
- Asking for mercy (really acknowledges who you are and who he is)
- When you pray, [Hebrews 4:16] “ Let us therefore come boldly unto the throne of grace, that we may obtain mercy, and find grace to help in time of need., you acknowledge who he is.
- They got mercy immediately!!! (cleansed)
- He is the God of the valley/ and the God of the Mountain top, they acknowledged him before asking or receiving anything!
- Out Loud (verse 13) – Publicly, (God loves hearing it)
Illustration: My Wife
- I believe she knows that I love her
- I believe she knows that I appreciate the things that she does for me
- I really believe that when I say it out loud, or even tell others, she really enjoys that
- I AM SURE God feels the same when we “Truly acknowledge who he is” out loud.
- Christian, I have made efforts to pass out tracts, three a day. Failed many times. How about this one: lift up your voice and acknowledge Jesus, Master once a day?
- To your family, work, perfect strangers? Sure, do you love him?
Trust and Obey
- “Go shew yourselves…” This was something that they should do to be declared clean, yet they were not clean at the time! Whether it make sense to you or not
- [Proverbs 3:5-6] “ Trust in the LORD with all thine heart; and lean not unto thine own understanding. In all thy ways acknowledge him, and he shall direct thy paths.”
- “as they went” The next right step is always in the right direction, you may need to change/ repent -TURN
- Bible Believers should know what the Lord says.
- Family order- Husband, wife, children
- Employment – a job that moves you away from Christ?
- Relationships – Husband/wife, Looking for a spouse?
- Finances – can’t pay the bills?
- Christian, the “next right step” may just be to REPENT, period. You may not know any more than that. Make that step today.
Take inventory and Give God the Glory (verse 15)
- You are always moving and changing, never standing still, notice and acknowledge the changes
- Often, others can see the changes God has made when we see nothing! (reminded of blessings)
- At this church, I can easily see GREAT CHANGES in many folks, and sadly they don’t see the same
- Out Loud – Publicly this time after the blessing!
- (verse 16) With Humility – “on his face”
- (verse 16) With Reverence- “at his feet”
- (verse 16) With Thanksgiving, often the most forgotten step!
- Christian, maybe the “next right step” is to take inventory and give God the Glory.
Right Steps with Your Faith will make you Whole (verse 19)
- Faith made him whole – not just healed, he was complete, no missing parts!
- Faith is the Victory [ 1 John 5:4] 4 For whatsoever is born of God overcometh the world: and this is the victory that overcometh the world, even our faith.
- This passage sure looks to say that only one out of ten will be made whole! (verses 17-18)
- Christian, every Next right step is done by you in faith, keep it up and you to will be made whole, no missing parts!
If you are lost, you need to take the FIRST right step, receive the Lord Jesus Christ.
Christian, no matter where you are surly one of theses “next right steps” will help you in your Christian walk.