Gifts 1 Corinthians 12:1-31 CLICK TITLE FOR AUDIO
In this study we will look at some of the spiritual gifts that apply us today in the church age. The Corinthian church was having a problem with the spiritual gifts. They were thinking that someone was more spiritual than someone else because of a gift. We still have groups today who do this same thing. It is important to see in this passage not only the gifts but the purpose of the gifts. As always we will pay special attention to the placement of this passage and its context to learn some additional things in regards to the subject of spiritual gifts.
What are the gifts:
The spiritual gifts are found in three places for us in the New Testament. Below we will list them and categorize them. (The sign gifts will not be discussed in this lesson because they are not for us today in the church age)
7) Shewing Mercy
1 Corinthians 12:4-11,28
4) Gifts of Healing
5) Working of Miracles
7) Discerning of Spirits
8) Divers kinds of Tongues
9) Interpretation of Tongues
1) Apostles 2) Prophets 3) Evangelists 4) Pastors 5) Teachers
*Below the gifts from above are grouped into different categories.
Gifts that are classified as People :
Spiritual Gifts :
7) Shewing Mercy
13) Discerning of Spirits
Sign Gifts :
1) Gifts of Healing
2) Working of Miracles
3) Divers kinds of Tongues
4) Interpretation of Tongues
Key things concerning Spiritual Gifts:
1) Everyone gets one (1 Corinthians 12:7)
- When we are saved we receive a spiritual gift from the Lord. You should pray and ask God to help you know what it is.
- Be careful not to boast of a false gift (Proverbs 25:14)
2) Not everyone gets the same gift (1 Corinthians 12:4-11)
- There are different gifts but the same spirit, different administrations but the same Lord, different operations but the same God. Note in these verse we see the trinity. The reason for the different gifts is to complete the body.
- A different gift doesn’t make you more or less spiritual than someone else.
- Your gift may give you a different position in the church but Jesus is still the head of the body.
- Your gift may require you to perform a different type of service but God uses them all.
3) The purpose of the gifts is to profit the Body of Christ (1 Corinthians 12:7)
- Note in Romans, Ephesians, and here in 1 Corinthians the body of Christ is in context with the spiritual gifts.
- The question becomes are you using your gift to profit the body of Christ.
4) Charity is required to use the gifts (1 Corinthians 13:1)
- It is not important what gift you have it is important how you use it. It must be used to please the Lord and used with Charity.
If you know your gift or gifts then simply use them to profit the body of Jesus Christ. If you are unsure then pray and ask God to help you understand what your gift is so that you can use it for him. But as Paul told the Corinthians don’t be ignorant concerning the gifts.