Train Up A Child Prov. 22:6 CLICK TITLE FOR AUDIO
Train up a child, by interpretation this verse can be a blessing or a curse to many. It is a proverb not a promise from God. A person’s own will determines the way that they go. Even though this is not a promise, it does show three truths that are needed to train up a child.
Three Truths found in this verse
Discipline is needed to train up a child
- Verses on training children:
- Proverbs 22:15 Foolishness is bound in the heart of a child; but the rod of correction shall drive it far from him.
- Proverbs 23:13 Withhold not correction from the child: for if thou beatest him with the rod, he shall not die.
- Proverbs 29:15 The rod and reproof give wisdom: but a child left to himself bringeth his mother to shame.
- We are supposed to train up our children or Shame on us!!!!
- [Job 36:5-12] The only passage that includes the word discipline in your Bible
- Discipline is instruction and consequences, in the dictionary and in your Bible
- Our Curriculum – [2 Tim.3:16] Instruction in righteousness
- Instruction and consequences – One without the other is Complete Failure
- Illustration of training of our Rottweiler puppy, and the extreme importance to not reward bad behavior
- Peace for both of us when everyone knows the rules and obeys them
Direction is needed to train up a child
- “in the way he should go” if not a promise, what could this mean?
- Maybe its Life skills, Illustration of the training up of Comanche Children, they are truly trained up in the life skills needed to not only survive but to thrive.
- The Truth found here is training them by our example, by our 24/7 life, testimony
- To train anyone you must be a leader! Leaders encourage folks to follow!
- Who would you have the greatest success with:
- Worldly, lost parent
- Saved, playing church
- Saved, sold out, same at church as anywhere else
- You must be headed that way
- Both parents must be headed that way, (Confusion with a puppy getting different signals)
- In the book of Acts, the early church was in one accord, very important in leading others to the lord
Devotion is needed to train up a child
- “when he is old, he will not depart from it”
- If it were a promise, “when he is old” would be deleted
- I believe it speaks to this training up a child being a long-term project
- Don’t give up
- Proverbs 19:18 Chasten thy son while there is hope, and let not thy soul spare for his crying.
- There comes a time when chastening just is not doable. Don’t give up, God still can!!!!!
- Keep praying
- [2Tim.2:25] Speaks of “Instructing those that oppose themselves” VERY HARD!!!
- If done correctly: They will come back from where they departed – prodigal son
So, what do we do with this?
- Discipline – Instruct and correct
- Direction- Everyone on same page and same direction
- Devotion- Long term projects, don’t give up