Gen 6:4 GiantsCLICK TITLE FOR AUDIO
Giants are first mentioned in the Bible in Gen 6:4. Giants are descendants of the sons of God [Gen 6:2]. They were here before the flood. We find giants “also after that” in the land of Canaan [Num 13:33], when the spies went to descry the land, in Moab [Deut 2:11], in Ammon [Deut 2:20], in Bashan [Deut 3:11, 13], again in Canaan [Jos 15:8; 17:15], and in the land of the Philistines [2 Sam 21:16, 18, 20, 22].
Remember that Goliath was a giant. Goliath was 6 cubits and a span tall or almost nine and a half feet tall [1 Sam 17:4]. Og, king of Bashan, was probably taller than Goliath [Deut 3:11]. Og’s bed was 9 cubits long, which is thirteen and a half feet long. And his bed was four cubits broad or eight feet wide. That’s a big bed for a big man.
Giants are the offspring of the sons of God. So, who are these sons of God? Here’s what we know about them from the Bible:
- They were here before Adam (Job 38: 4-8).
- They are connected with Satan (Job 1:6; 2:1).
- They were formerly angels (Jude 6).
- They lost their “first estate” when they left heaven and joined themselves to women (Jude 6). Evidently, they, like the other angels, were spirits who could manifest themselves as men (Ps 104:4; Jud 13:8-10, 19-20; Heb 13:2). When they joined with women, though, then they became one flesh with them (1 Cor 6:16). And, thus, they could no longer just be spirits.
- They are gods but they die like men (Ps. 82:6-8).
- Their offspring were giants (Gen. 6:4; Deut. 2:10-21).
- After their sin, they were put in everlasting chains of darkness (Jude 6, 2 Pet. 2:4).
- They were cast down to hell (2 Pet. 2:4).
- There will be more of them here in the Tribulation (Rev. 12:4, 7; Matt. 24:29; Rev. 17:12 w/ Dan 2:42-44).
- They will be judged (Jude 6, 2 Pet. 2:4).
- Church Age saints will be the ones to judge them (1 Cor. 6:3).
Conclusion: you see, then, that giants are the offspring of the sons of God who joined themselves with the daughters of men. This is probably where the mythological characters, like Hercules, came from. They were, after all, mighty men and men of renown (Gen 6:4). You also see that they will return once again. Isn’t the world’s fascination with super heroes and part men, part machine, like terminator, interesting? The world is being prepared for more giants.