The Son of God, Do You Know Who He Is? Prov. 30:4 CLICK TITLE FOR AUDIO
The Son of God, Do You Know Who He Is?
In this sermon we will look at the question asked in Proverbs 30:4. What is being asked is first of all what is the name of God? But then it ask what is his sons name. This has been the greatest question and debate since the beginning of time. It is the most important question that you will ever face.
Many religions claim that there is a god. But the problem becomes when we answer the question of who his son is. The truth of the matter is simple. Without Jesus Christ there is no salvation. In this sermon we will plainly show that Jesus Christ is the Son of God and that through him and him alone is the only way to be saved and make it to heaven (John 14:6).
What is the name of the Son of God?
The Son of God is none other than Jesus Christ. (Matthew 1:21-25 ; Luke 1:30-35)
- Joseph is told that Mary will bring forth a son and call his name Jesus. The reason he is to be called Jesus is because he will save his people from their sin.
- Mary is also told that the Holy Ghost would conceive in her a child who would be called the Son of God.
It is also interesting that the Son of God is also called the Word of God (John 1:1,14 ; 1 John 1:1, 5: 7 ; Revelation 19:13). This means that Jesus Christ was with God in the beginning and was a part of creation.
The first time we see Satan in the word of God is in Genesis 3:1 and in his first statement to Eve he questions the word of God. Therefore we see that questioning the word of God starts with Satan.
The first time Satan shows up in the New Testament he again questions the word of God. Note in Matthew 4:4 the first statement that Satan makes in the New Testament is “If thou be the son of God”. He is directly questioning the Son of God and the Word of God.
This has been man’s greatest problem since it all began who is God and what is his son’s name. There are many gods that people worship but only one is the true God and only one has a son that is the savior of the world. Someone might say I don’t believe in any God, sure you do it is just that you your self are you God.
Did Satan know who the son of God really was?
He sure did even the devils know who he is (Matthew 8:29). You can know who he is and still choose to reject him.
Did Jesus’ disciples know that he was the son of God?
They sure did (Matthew 14:33). They connected it to his control of nature and the miracles that he performed. This sounds like Proverbs 30:4 once again.
Did the religious leader of the Jews know that he was the son of God?
Whether they believed him or not this is what they crucified him for (Matthew 26:63).
Even on the cross some rejected him (Matthew 27:39-43) and some believed he was the son of God (Matthew 27:40). The question for you is what do you believe?
Why is this question so important for us?
Mark 1:1 “The beginning of the gospel of Jesus Christ, the Son of God”
This is where it becomes applicable to us. The gospel of Jesus Christ is the only way to be saved and make it to heaven.
1) What is the Gospel? (1 Corinthians 15:1-4)
- The gospel is the death, burial and resurrection of Jesus Christ.
- Jesus is declared to be the Son of God by the resurrection from the dead (Romans 1:4).
2) Salvation comes by believing the gospel and trusting Jesus Christ as your savior.
(John 1:12-13 ; John 20:31 ; Acts 8:37 ; 1 John 5:13)
3) A person is condemned by not believing (John 3:16-21)
- He that believeth not is condemned already (verse 18).
4) One day God will judge the world by his son (Acts 17:29-32)
- Note in verse 31 you will be judged by the righteousness of Jesus Christ. Therefore your righteousness much match his righteousness or you will not make it.
- This is why you cannot work your way to heaven, as long as you have committed one sin you will not match the righteousness of Jesus Christ.
- But if you accept him as your savior and trust his finished work on Calvary you can have his righteousness (Romans 10:9-13 ; Philippians 3:9)
- If you reject Jesus Christ you will be judged by the word that he spoke (John 12:48) and then you will confess that Jesus is Lord before being thrown into the lake of fire (Philippians 2:9-11).
So the question is do you know who the Son of God is and what have you done with him?