Rewards That We Can Earn (Part 1)
This lesson will cover rewards that can be earned by the saved person as a result of faithfully serving the Lord Jesus Christ. Earning rewards is an important topic today for many unsaved and saved people alike. Many think that salvation itself is an earned reward or that a person must work in order to stay saved, but this is not so. In this lesson we will show that there are rewards that a saved person can earn and saved people should work for the Lord but it is not required for Salvation.
In 1 Corinthians 3:9-15 the bible is describing the Judgment Seat of Christ. This is the place where saved people are judged not in regards to salvation but in regards to the works that they do after they are saved. Note in verse 13 that every mans work shall be made manifest. The works are judged by fire to reveal what sort they are. This is important because the works are not judged on quantity but instead they are judged by their motive. The judgment process is simple if the work makes it through the fire then you get a reward if they do not you lose a reward. There is no fooling God when it comes to our motives of service.
In Ephesians 2:8-10 we see that salvation is by grace through faith and not of works. Note verse 9 specifically says “Not of works, lest any man should boast”. Therefore it is plain to see that Salvation is not earned in any way. By the way if a person could earn salvation then why would Jesus Christ have to die? Also in Romans 11:6 Paul makes it plain that grace and works are not the same.
Even though we are not saved by works we should work for God as a saved person. This is clearly shown in Ephesians 2:10. Note that the verse say “For we are his workmanship, created in Christ Jesus unto good works, which God hath before ordained that we should walk in them.” The key word there is should. A saved person may or may not work for God but they should do things that pleases and brings glory to God.
What are some rewards that we can earn? Well in the passage from 1 Corinthians we see there are gold, silver, and precious stones mentioned as possible rewards. There is also an inheritance that the word of God speaks teaches for faithful servants (This will be covered in part 2 of this lesson). Then there are 5 Crown that the word of God speaks of.
5 Crowns in the Bible:
1) The Incorruptible crown (1 Corinthians 9:25)
- Seems to be connected with how we run our race.
2) The Crown of Rejoicing (1Thessalonians 2:19)
- Seems to be connected with those who have been led to the Lord.
3) The Crown of Righteousness (2 Timothy 4:8)
- Connected with those who love his appearing.
4) The Crown of Life (James 1:12)
- Connected with overcoming temptations.
5) The Crown of Glory (1 Peter 5:1-4)
- Connected with being a faithful pastor.
Remember it not quantity of these works nor the visible results that we see but the motive behind them that is judged and rewarded.
Rewards That We Can Earn (Part 1)
1) What is the event being described in 1 Corinthians 3:9-15?
2) What is significant for us in regards to this passage and the subject of works?
3) What is a good passage for showing us that we should work after we are saved?
4) What is a good passage for showing us that works and grace are not the same?
5) Make a list of the crowns that we can win and show what each one is connected with.