A Cloud of Witnesses
Paul makes reference in chapter 12 to a cloud of witnesses that are in chapter 11. Those witnesses are the heroes of the faith. They all have one thing in common, they believed God and obeyed Him. Rom. 16:26 calls that, “The obedience of faith”. This verse says that we also are compassed about with so great a cloud of witnesses. We not only have the examples found in the Bible but we have men and women in our lives today that believe God and obey Him. If you were to ask any of them they would all agree to the truth in Hebrews 12:1.
Everyone has a different race to run
- Every Hero in chapter 11 had a very different race set before them.
- You have a race set before you, and all you see now is the exact spot you occupy right now.
- You don’t know what lies ahead, you don’t know pitfalls that lie in wait.
- You only dream of what the finish line looks like
- You must believe God and obey Him, to complete your race.
Everyone needs to run with Patience
- This race is a marathon not a sprint.
- The Bible says we need to “walk circumspectly” [Eph.5:15-17]
- Circumspectly – watchful and discreet, cautious, prudent, well considered, that takes patience.
- You must crawl, then walk, then you may be able to run.
Everyone must lay aside the things that so easily beset us (beset – attack on all sides, assail, harass, to surround, hem in)
- What is weighing you down? What is surrounding you and harasses you?
- Your Job? Your ambition? Your debt? Your health? Your relationships?
- Have you ever just stopped long enough to really look deep into your life and identify the things that are a burden? Are these burdens necessary? Lay them aside!!!
- [1 Thes.5:22] Every sin, even the ones that appear that way to others.
- [Num.32:23] “Be sure your sin will find you out”
- [Gal.6:7] “Be not deceived; God is not mocked:” (mock – to attack or treat with ridicule, contempt, or derision) You mock God with your sin! [Prov.14:9] while some of us try to mock sin! Very foolish
The cloud of witnesses is preaching the truth of God’s word and the advantage of obedience to it. That cloud is also a witness to each of us every day to lay aside every weight, and the sin which doth so easily beset us, and let us run with patience the race that is set before us.