Social media is the perfect tool to “take heed unto all words that are spoken”. Hurt speech has always been part of the human experience. Folks have always allowed cursing’s to leave their mouth and hurt others. Today with social media it is far easier to not only say whatever you like about others, but also to hear “all words that are spoken”, about others and yourself. Have you ever been hurt by someone’s speech? The term “Bulling” of today is hurt speech. “Sticks and stones may break my bones, but words will never hurt me”, is not true. Words do hurt. God does not want you to be the speaker or the victim.
Much Speech Results[Ecc.5:3] The more you post on social media, could be proof of you being a fool [Prov.10:19] Multitude of words, the more you say, the more opportunity for mistakes. [Prov.29:20] Be not hasty, [Prov. 29:11] think before you speak [Prov. 17:27-28] It is better to keep your mouth shut, than to open it and confirm that you are a fool [James 1:19] We should be slow to speak
Mean Speech Sources
- [Luke 6:45] “of the abundance of the heart his mouth speaketh” When you speak you are showing everyone what is in your heart.
- [Ps.139:19-24] David hated his enemies but kept his heart clean
- [Prov.4:23] Keep thy heart (we all are born with a heart problem)
- [James 3:8-10] the tongue, it’s an unruly evil, full of deadly poison
- [Ps.141:3] set a watch before my mouth, and keep the door of my lips
- [Ps.39:1-4] I held my peace, that I sin not with my tongue
Hurt Speech Defenses[Ps.56:11] Trust in God and have no fear of man (Just be concerned with what God thinks) [Prov.29:25] It brings a snare, not safety [2Tim.1:7] It is not from God, He gives us power, love and a sound mind