Some Facts About Truth John 18:33-38 CLICK TITLE FOR AUDIO
In this passage Pilate has a problem. Jesus has been brought before him for judgment, yet he says “What is truth?” As Bible believers we know that Jesus Christ is the truth [John 14:6] and that God’s words are also [John 17:17]. Pilate didn’t know what to do with the truth. Let’s look at a some facts about truth that the Bible shows us.
[3 John 1-4] John mentions two points :
The truth should be in you
[John 16:13] The Holy Spirit resides in you to guide you
[John 14:26] He teaches you all things
[John 17:17] Through his word – how you are sanctified
[1Tim.6:1-5] Don’t be destitute of the truth, be filled with the Spirit
You should walk in the truth (Four Steps)
You need to Know…
- [1Tim.2:4] God not only wants you to be saved but to come unto the knowledge of the truth. After salvation learning begins. You need to seek out the knowledge God has for you in the Bible.
- [2Tim.3:7] You can be “ever learning” and never come to that knowledge. Education is wonderful but it is not what counts. Be careful with self-help books, etc.
- [Acts 17:21] need to tell or hear some new thing
You need to Believe …
- [2Thes.2:13] part of your sanctification includes believing .
- It is one thing to know a fact, but it is something else to believe it to be true.
- [Rom. 10:9] more than head knowledge
- [James 2:19] The devil believes also
You need to Acknowledge …
- [Titus] Acknowledging pleases God, godliness.
- It doesn’t mean I must like it, God likes it. (Adam in the garden)
- Acknowledging means God, you’re right and I’m wrong.
- Many of us will not be truthful with ourselves, so how can you possibly be truthful with God?
- We justify our sin (I can’t help it) The Bible clearly states to spank your children, [Prov.13:24, 19:18, 22:15, 23:13-14] But because of our past experiences or education we choose to justify NOT doing what God says. The same goes for, dating unsaved people, speeding (or breaking any law) [Rom.13:1-3], our covetousness, lust, and pride. We justify all of the above.
- We call it something else ( fault, bad habit, flaw, disease, an accident), no it’s sin
- We call :
Fornication – an affair
Bearing false witness (lie) – a fib
Stealing – re-purposing
Pornography – art
- [2Tim.2:25] It must be acknowledged if you ever want to get right with God.
You need to Manifest …
- [2Cor.4:2] When you start walking in it, is starts to show.
- [3John 1:12] It will bear witness in your life.
- By passing it on [Ps.71:18] [Ps.78:4]
- By your Testimony [Matt.5:14-16]