Good Tidings of Great Joy
“Joy to the world! the Lord is come…” is a familiar hymn that is sung around Christmas time. The Bible speaks of good tidings of great joy. Is Christmas time a great joy to you? The world has sure turned it into a commercial event and giving is based on commerce and greed. How can we as Christians have that “great joy” at Christmas and every other day of the year? Let’s look a few basic steps to Joy.
Step 1 Jesus Luke 2:1-20
- Verse 11 – We have a Saviour, [Matt. 1:21]
- Verse 19 – She kept and pondered them in her heart, do you?
- Is Jesus something that you rejoice in daily? [1Thes.5:16] [Phil. 4:4]
Step 2 Others 1 John 1:1-4
- Illustration of soldiers during WW1 on Christmas day laying down arms and joining in hymns together.
- Christmas time opens doors to tell others, some have never heard!
- There is joy in giving to others, [Acts 20:35] it blesses you and them
- What is your motive in giving? Most of our giving is because it is expected.
- Have you ever given anomalously, or sacrificially?
- If you don’t receive great joy with step 2, revisit step 1
Step 3 Yourself John 16:20-24
- A joy that no man can take away from you!
- Beware that you don’t give your joy away
- Symbolism over substance
- Helping others always makes your problems seem less [Prov.16:3]
- If you don’t receive great joy with step 3, back up to steps 1&2