The spirit of a man
The spirit of a man is important. We are talking about the ability of a man to survive insurmountable obstacles. There are many war time examples of men with no food, ammunition, and worn down to the last stages of exhaustion are able to not only survive but win the battle. While others with a wounded spirit fold up and are defeated. In these examples we usually use the term “morale”. This is why leaders are so interested in keeping the morale high in their troops. They know the importance, because “the spirit of a man will sustain his infirmity” (weakness of mind, resolution, health etc.).
We have an enemy, the devil, and he uses “morale” to fight his enemies. He will attack our spirits and leave us disappointed, discouraged, or depressed. He has the entire world at his disposal and through circumstances and even other people he can accomplish this “morale” work. War time enemies have used propaganda to demoralize the opponent. Let’s look at how this affects us.
Disappointed[Proverbs 18:14] The spirit of a man will sustain his infirmity; but a wounded spirit who can bear?
- No one likes disappointment, but some hold on to it, to their own hurt
- They become bitter, [Heb.12:12-15]
- Paul said our sufferings are not worthy to be compared with the glory that will be revealed in us. [Rom.8:18]
- Why, we have the Spirit of God bearing witness to our spirit… [Rom.8:14-17]
- Don’t let this present world get you down, look up! [Titus 2:13]
- The spirit of a man is wounded by disappointment
Discouraged[Proverbs 15:13] A merry heart maketh a cheerful countenance: but by sorrow of the heart the spirit is broken.
- Disappointment can easily lead to Discouragement (like being kicked when you’re down)
- Many missionaries and men of God fail and quit because of being discouraged.
- Paul sustained infirmities that would have easily killed men of Goliath’s stature, [2Cor.11:20-31], but his spirit sustained his infirmities.
- [Psalm 34:18] ‘The LORD is nigh unto them that are of a broken heart; and saveth such as be of a contrite spirit.” When your heart is broken, remember God is nigh.
- The spirit of a man can be broken by discouragement
Depressed[Proverbs 17:22] A merry heart doeth good like a medicine: but a broken spirit drieth the bones.
- After Discouragement you can fall of into Depression
- [Prov.13:12] “Hope deferred maketh the heart sick” – Depression, reacting to loss, and like going into a cave to just hide out.
- David understood this and prayed a prayer while he was in a cave,[Ps.142], and his spirit was overwhelmed.
- Your help is in God’s grace, [2Cor.12:9-10]
- As you go through life you will learn how much the grace of God strengthens you in times of weakness.
- At first this is a hard concept to understand, but the Spirit of God will allow you to discern these truths. [1Cor.2:9-16]