Practical Rules of Giving
Solomon gives up some practical rules of giving in this passage.
1 Cast thy bread upon the waters: for thou shalt find it after many days.
- Your Giving should be Intentional
- “Cast” means to send or drive by force, to throw, to fling, to hurl.
- “upon the waters” refers to people [Rev.17:1,15]
- “Thou shalt find it after many days.” [Luke 6:38] [2 Cor.9:6-10]
- God rewards and loves a cheerful giver
2 Give a portion to seven, and also to eight; for thou knowest not what evil shall be upon the earth.
- Your Giving should be Proportional
- “Give a portion” [2 Cor.8:12-13] “hath”, [Acts 11:29-30] “his ability”
- You should get with God and determine what you have to give, could be yourself [2 Cor.8:1-5]
- “Seven” is the number for completion, “eight” new beginning, Balanced (like a stock portfolio) You should give to beginning things such as a new missionary, and more established works as God directs.
- “knowest not what evil…” [Matt.6:34] [Ecc.5:13-14] greed, “fly away” [Prov.23:5] Prudence requires that you, if possible, store up for your retirement, but don’t send it all that direction, store up some in heaven [Matt.6:20]
3 If the clouds be full of rain, they empty themselves upon the earth: and if the tree fall toward the south, or toward the north, in the place where the tree falleth, there it shall be.
- Your Giving should be Purposeful
- God is in control and has a purpose [Isa.55:10] [Prov.14:23] profit
- The rain and the tree, God puts them where he wants them.
- God has a purpose for every dollar and every minute he supplies you.
4 He that observeth the wind shall not sow; and he that regardeth the clouds shall not reap.
5 As thou knowest not what is the way of the spirit, nor how the bones do grow in the womb of her that is with child: even so thou knowest not the works of God who maketh all.
6 In the morning sow thy seed, and in the evening withhold not thine hand: for thou knowest not whether shall prosper, either this or that, or whether they both shall be alike good.
- Your Giving should be Faithful
- Too much observation – no giving, worry about loss
- Too much regard for the clouds- “saving for a rainy day” [Prov.20:4]
- [Isa 55:8-9] your thoughts and ways are not his
- “morning” youth or starting point, great time to start
- “evening” aged , don’t stop
- Give by faith trusting God for results