To Your Own Hurt
2 Timothy 2:25
“In meekness instructing those that oppose themselves; if God peradventure will give them repentance to the acknowledging of the truth;”
There are folks that “oppose themselves”. They do things that cause themselves harm. All this hurt is self-inflicted. This self-inflicted hurt comes by one reason; they refuse to “acknowledge the truth”. The world professes that “there is no truth” and that all things are relative. They would love for you to believe that you decide, what truth is for you, and that it may be totally different for someone else. Two plus two may not always equal four. This process of not acknowledging the truth is not a new concept, [John18:37-38]. There is nothing new under the sun,[Ecc.1:9].
Let us search the scriptures and study three things that you can do “to your own hurt”.
Psalm 15:4 Hard Headed
“ In whose eyes a vile person is contemned; but he honoureth them that fear the LORD. He that sweareth to his own hurt, and changeth not.”
- Are you hard headed enough to follow through with some sort of oath, even after you realize you are wrong?
- We are supposed to change, especially when through experience we are given a chance to acknowledge the truth.
- [Ecc.1:16] Solomon took advantage of experience, wisdom and knowledge.
- [1 Kings 3:5-14] Asking for such brings blessing not hurt.
- [Prov.4] Solomon’s testimony to us, to not be hard headed and to learn and change.
Ecclesiastes 8:9 Hard Hearted
“ All this have I seen, and applied my heart unto every work that is done under the sun: there is a time wherein one man ruleth over another to his own hurt.”
- Are you hard hearted when given some authority over someone else?
- Pastor to the flock, [1 Pet.5:1-4]
- Man to woman, [1 Pet.3:1-7]
- Parent to child, [Eph.6:1-4]
- Master to servant. [Eph.6:5-9]
Jeremiah 25:7 Hard of Hearing
“ Yet ye have not hearkened unto me, saith the LORD; that ye might provoke me to anger with the works of your hands to your own hurt.”
- Are you so hard of hearing that you provoke the Lord to anger with the things you do?
- [Heb.10:26-31] Willful disobedience, to your own hurt.
- You will be judged at the Judgment Seat of Christ.
The Bible is very clear that certain things that we do; we do to our own hurt. Are you hard headed and refuse to change? Are you heard hearted toward others? Are you hard of hearing and willfully disobeying God? If so, you are opposing yourself and not acknowledging the truth.