Proofs for the Resurrection
The resurrection of Jesus Christ is the most important thing in regards to salvation. As a matter of fact, the resurrection is what separates salvation in Jesus Christ from all other religions in the world today. True Christianity has a risen savior. There have been many other religious founders throughout history but only Jesus Christ arose victorious over death, hell, and the grave. This gives us a living savior that lives to intercede on our behalf (Hebrews 7:25)
1 Corinthians 15:12-19 shows us why the resurrection is so important. We will list these below as they are also connected with the proofs of the resurrection.
1) It settled the question of whether there was a resurrection or not (verse 12)
- Obviously, there were some Sadducees in the church at Corinth who did not believe in a resurrection at all. The fact that Jesus rose again proves there is a resurrection.
2) It completed the gospel (verse 14)
- Paul says that if Jesus did not rise again then their preaching was in vain. They were preaching the gospel of the death, burial, and the resurrection (1 Corinthians 15:3-4).
3) If Jesus was not resurrected, the eyewitnesses would be liars and so would the word of God
- The word of God records the eyewitness accounts of the resurrection of Jesus Christ therefore he had to come up or they would both be liars.
4) Completed the payment for our sins (verse 17)
- It is not just enough that Jesus died for our sins; he had to be resurrected to complete the payment for our sin (Hebrew 9:12).
5) Gives us hope (verse 19)
- Since Jesus Christ arose from the dead, we also have the hope that he is coming again and that if we die before he comes then he will also raise us up from the dead (Romans 8:11).
Proofs for the Resurrection:
1) The word of God (Psalm 119:160 ; Romans 3:1-4)
- When proving the resurrection of Jesus Christ, the word of God is always the place to start.
- Note also the context in Romans 3:1-4 is the fact that to the Jews were given the oracles of God. Even if they didn’t believe the words of God, it doesn’t make the faith in God of none effect.
- Therefore, the word of God should be sufficient when proving the resurrection of Jesus Christ, but we will see there are more proofs available.
2) The Eyewitnesses (1 Corinthians 15:5-8)
- These verses tell us that over five hundred people saw the resurrected Christ, that many of them were alive at the time Paul was writing this letter to the church at Corinth.
- Paul himself even saw the resurrected savior on the road to Damascus and wrote about it in several places in the word of God.
- Signed statements by eyewitnesses are admissible in court and there should also be proof of the resurrected Christ.
3) The coming of the Holy Spirit (Acts 2:1-6 with John 16:7-11)
- In Acts 2 we see the Holy Spirit come and start indwelling people on the day of Pentecost. Jesus promised that this event would happen (Acts 1:3-5).
- Jesus said also in John 16 that he had to go so the Holy Spirit could come. The coming of the Holy Spirit proves the resurrection of Jesus Christ, and it also proves the fact that God accepted the sacrifice and payment for our sins that his son made. If God had not accepted the sacrifice of Jesus Christ, then the Holy Spirit would have never come.
4) The changed lives of many who have been saved since Pentecost
- Paul is a great example of this along with thousands of others. He went from persecuting and killing Christians to preaching the gospel and being severally persecuted for his faith.
- How many stories of martyrs, missionaries, preachers, and ordinary people did great things throughout history in the name of Jesus Christ?
- How many songs have been written about the Lord Jesus Christ and how he changed their lives compared to other religious founders? A living savior makes a difference.
The key to believing the resurrection is still faith. Remember faith cometh by hearing and hearing by the word of God (Romans 10:17). Remember that in Hebrews 11:1 faith is the substance of things hoped for and the evidence of things not seen. Because we use the word of God as the main source for our proof on the resurrection it still requires faith. The question will become then do you believe the bible?
Proofs for the Resurrection
1) Why is the resurrection so important according to 1 Corinthians 15:12-19?
2) List 4 things that prove the resurrection of Jesus Christ from the grave.
3) What is the key to believing the resurrection of Jesus Christ?