In this series of lessons we’ll look at some scriptural “walls” that need to be in place in order to protect and provide an atmosphere for the Holy Spirit of God to work in your home. Worldly heroism is might, but godly heroism is in the mastery of your will.
Inability to rule your spirit shows up in the following areas:
- Inability to compromise, contention
- Mental or physical cruelty to people or animals – bully
- Self pity
- Compulsion to revenge
- Excusing self and self defense
- Violent quarrelling
- Lack of sense of responsibility
- Misuse authority
- Dependence on feelings
How to Rule Your Spirit:
Humility- Realistic view of yourself
- Romans 12:3 don’t think of yourself more highly than you ought. You’ll expect things you aren’t owed.
- Luke 3:8 Pharisees were experts in the art of terrible judgment based on pride
- No fantasy, dreams, or escapism – deal with things as God says they are.
- Accurate appraisal of assets and liabilities. Spouses sometimes have an unrealistic view of themselves and their marriage. They are blindsided by avoidable problems. Spouses often default to “dictator” mode when they feel they’ve lost control or they will run away completely from the situation. An honest assessment solves most of these problems.
- Spouses want the fruit of righteousness, but are unwilling to plant the seeds, fence in the garden, remove the rocks, set up the tower. Do the work to reap the reward.
Faith – Flexible, Ability to adjust
- This is accomplished when you understand God is truly in control of everything. It’s easy to accept when you know God is in it.
- Eccl. 3:3 seasons. Circumstances are not the constant, but God’s word is and your faith through those circumstances can be. Remember, seasons provide opportunity for growth, so be careful about an attitude that says everything needs to be sunny all the time. You’ll be set up for failure in that case.
- Adjust to poverty, plenty, freedom, responsibility, pressure, stress. You will experience all these and you need to know how to handle them.
Temperance – Control of Emotions
- Malice, Bitterness, and joy are not circumstantial.
- You are in control of love, hate, jealousy, temper, pride, depression, moods
- Happiness is an inside job.
- How do you fill your vessel? God speaks of the body as a vessel that can be filled with many spiritual things. He was filled with anger. Or he was filled with pride. Or being filled with the Holy Spirit.
- Depression is not the biological inability to experience the joy of the Lord.
- Patience is not passiveness