1 Timothy 6:17
God gives a warning in 1 Timothy 6:17 about trusting in money. What a man has acquired compared to others is what he thinks of himself generally. The goal of today’s study is to show the foolishness of trusting in money and the need to trust in God when it comes to money.
Wealth is Unreliable because it is Corruptible
- The nature of wealth is just like anything else, it will diminish over time.
- You can look at your checkbook at the end of the month and know that much about it.
- Proverbs 23:5 – riches CERTAINLY make themselves wings; they fly away as an eagle toward heaven.
- The only certainty about riches is that they will be gone.
- Matthew 6:19 Lay not up for yourselves treasures upon earth, where moth and rust doth corrupt, and where thieves break through and steal.
- Proverbs 13:11 – Wealth will diminish because the concept of work has not been learned
- Gambler, lotto winner
- GOD IS INCORRUPTIBLE
Wealth is Unreliable Because it Cannot be Trusted
- Or Banking? That’s suppose to be safe, right? How does banking work anyway?
- Cyprus Bank – rich depositors (100,000 Euros take a tax of 60% of their deposit in order to pay off creditors, Greece investments)
- Wealth can change hands overnight
- GOD IS IMMUTABLE
- God can turn an economy upside down or right side up in a day if He chooses to
- 2 Kings 6:24-7:2 – Economic situation turned overnight
Wealth is Unreliable Because it has no Power
- Ecclesiastes 6:1 – wealth doesn’t equal health. Howard Hughes
- Luke 8:43-48 – See the stark contrast of money and Jesus Christ
- Proverbs 11:4
- Babylon destroyed in Daniel 5.
- Psalms 73 – Asaph got God’s perspective about earthly riches
- Revelation 3:17 – God agrees that these folks have monetary wealth, but says they are poor – What a man has is in direct proportion to what he thinks of himself. But God’s estimation is different.
- Psalm 49:6-13
- Acts 8:18-25 – money has no power with God
CONCLUSION: Jesus Christ is everything that money is not. He is incorruptible, he is immutable, he is Life and he has been given all power.