Introduction: Heb. 12:14 (Holiness) Very important subject.
Some things that change when you get saved:
1) Regeneration – your nature is changed
Born again Jn. 3:3
New Creature II Cor. 5:17
2) Justification – your standing is changed
Standing- Refers to your position in
Christ (before salvation- Eph.2:12-13)
State – Your Spiritual Condition
I Cor. 1:1-9 their Standing
I Cor. 1:11, 3:1-3, 5:1-2 State
3) Adoption – your position is changed
Legal- The placing of a son
You get all the advantages of
any natural born son – an heir.
Romans 8:15-17 – Now
Romans 8:23 – Future
4) Sanctification – your character is changed
The Meaning: It is the work of the Holy Spirit.
Sanctification and Holiness are the same.
The basic meaning is separation.
The Bible meaning is to be set apart:
1) by God
2) for God
3) from Sin
4) Unto a holy life. Just like: Heb. 12:14
II Tim. 2:19-21 – example, sanctified
The Bible speaks of sanctifying –Tabernacle…
Ex. 40:9-11; Num. 8:17
For Believers, a twofold meaning:
1) Separation from evil II Chr. 29:5, 15-18
2) Separation unto God Lev. 27:16
The Author: The Trinity
1) By God I Thes. 5:23-24
2) By God the Son Eph. 5:26 ( He-Christ, verse 25)
3) By God the Holy Spirit II Thes. 2:13
The Means: 1) By the Word of God John 17:17
The word of God II Tim. 4:1-5
2) By the Blood Heb. 13:12
3) By chastisement Heb. 12:6-11
4) By yielding to God Rom. 6:19
5) By ourselves II Cor. 7:1
The Timing of: 1) Instantaneous I Cor. 6:9-11
2) Progressive Jas. 1:22-25
The word is a mirror that shows you
your need to change.
3) Complete and Final I Thes. 5:23
The Results: 1) Past– Heb. 10:10, 14 1 Cor.6:11
We are perfect in God’s eyes,
We have Jesus Christ’s Righteousness
2) Present– Rom. 6:22
Fruit unto Holiness
Service to Sin = Death (next verse)
Service to God = Holiness
Your life is better now because of
your Separation/ Sanctification
3) Future– Romans 8:29
Conformed to the image of his Son.