Time with God
The Secret to a Christian Life
Text: (Gen 19:27) And Abraham gat up early in the morning to the place where he stood before the LORD:
Abraham is an excellent example of Morning Time with God: You must make it happen.
1) He got up early in the morning Ps. 5:3 David
2) He had a special place Matt 6:6
3) He did it daily
4) He stood before the Lord, waiting for the Lord to speak to him
II Peter 3:18 we are to Grow, we need nourishment,
Everyday. Feed flesh or spirit, fall short- Grow cold
- I. The Purpose of your Time with God
- A. Fellowship with God
- B. Strength for the Day Eph. 6:12
- II. Preparation for your Time for God
- A. Go to bed early
- B. Get wide awake before reading or praying
- C. Abraham stood, walk or pray out loud
- D. Put away distracting objects
- E. Psa. 46:10 Don’t do all the talking, listen
- F. Seek the leading of the Holy Spirit Rom. 8:14
- G. Be willing to obey what you read. Jn.2:5
- H. Come before Him with a clean heart Psa. 51:17 Regret, repent , I Jn. 1:9 confess
- III. Provisions for your Time with God
- A. Bible
- B. Paper and pen
- C. Some sort of study or reading plan calendar
- D. After reading ask:
- 1. What new thing have I learned today?
- 2. Is there a command for me to obey? >10
- 3. Is there an example for me to follow?
- 4. Is there an error for me to avoid?
- 5. Is there a sin for me to forsake?
- 6. Is there a promise for me to claim?
- 7. Did I learn anything new about God or His word?
- IV. Plan for your Time with God
- A. Prevent it from becoming mechanical
- B. Try to have it at the same time each day
- C. Aim for Systematic plan, ½ reading & ½ prayer
- D. Don’t be rigid, be filled
- V. Prayer in your Time with God
- A. Adoration Ps. 95:6 Humble yourself/ for who he is!!
- B. Confession Ps. 32:5 Repentance Change in
Mind- Heart- Direction
- C. Thanksgiving Phlip. 4:6 Anything and everything Lk17:11 ten lepers
- D. Supplication I Tim. 2:1 for others / me, me Heb. 4:16
- VI. Problems with your Time with God
- A. A daily battle, Satan will make sure
- B. A daily battle, the World will make sure
- C. A daily battle, your Flesh will make sure