Every member of the family has responsibilities according to their God-given role. A husband’s responsibilities are laid out in the Bible as three “L”s: Love, Lead, and Labor. All these describe the protective and stabilizing influence the husband is to the household.
Husbands love your wives (Ephesians 5:25-28). Your wife is a part of you. Love is characterized by these things:
- Selflessness: John 15:13
- Understanding: 1 Peter 3:7 (empathizing – seek to understand her), Psalm 103:14 (recognizing limits)
- She needs to know she is meeting your needs
- She needs to know you delight in her as a person
- She needs your attention and quality conversation
- She needs affection that doesn’t lead to the bedroom
- Communication: James 3:17 (description of how the Lord communicates)
Husbands lead your families (Ephesians 5:22-24). From the beginning God set up the divine order in the family. Adam is created and then God makes an help meet for him (Genesis 2:18). Leadership is characterized by:
- Modeling the behavior you want to see.
- Vision: Joshua 24:15 (Joshua for his family). Genesis 41:25-40 (Joseph and one of the greatest chapters on leadership in the Bible.) Where are you going? Why are you going there? How are you getting there? Implementation of vision – many steps between a great idea and a great product. Vision is a start, but just because you want to do something doesn’t mean it will happen. You must put footsteps with the vision.
- Teachability (apt to teach) – you are part of your wife’s spiritual growth. You will help her, and your children if you have them, grow up to be more like Jesus Christ.
- Equitable judgment
- Wisdom: hard to ask your wife to hitch her wagon to someone who consistently makes bad decisions or is indecisive.
Husbands labor to make provision for your household (1 Timothy 5:8)
- Philippians 4:19
- Job 1:5 – Job makes spiritual preparation for his household and not just financial provision. What good is a family that is well taken care of and all winds up in Hell?