In this lesson, we will see how God moved Isaac in a famine, restricted him from going into Egypt, confirmed that the Jewish land grant would include the land of the Philistines, and reaffirmed the blessing on his seed. Each of these subjects gives us excellent doctrinal material to study.
God’s Purpose in Famines, verse 1
We find numerous famines in the Bible, and there seems to be a reason for every one of them. God brings famines to:
1. Teach His People – Stay out of Egypt
Gen. 12:10; 26:1-2; 41:54-57 (Ex. 4:22-23; Hosea 11:1; Matt. 2:14).
2. Bring Judgment
Ruth 1: 1; 2 Sam. 21: 1; 1 Kings 17:1; 2 Kings 25:2; Jer. 14; Rev. 6:5-8
3. Prove His Power and Extend Mercy
2 Kings 4:38; 6:25; 8: 1-6; Neh. 5: 3-13; Acts 11:28
God’s Restrictions on Egypt, verse 2
Egypt is a type of the world. God warns Christians not to be friends of the world (James 4:4) and not to love the world (1 John 2:15-16). Christians are attracted to the world for the same reasons that the Jews looked to Egypt, for:
- Protection: Genesis 12: 10-14
- Food: Genesis 26:2; Jeremiah 42:14
- Safety: Exodus 14: 12, Deuteronomy 17:16, Isaiah 30:2
- Military alliances: 2 Kings 18:21
- Idols: Ezekiel 20:7
- Imitation spiritual gifts: Exodus 7:11
- Riches: Hebrews 11:26
- Worldly ways: Leviticus 18: 3
- Marriages: 1 Kings 3:1:Genesis 16: 3
- Adultery: Ezekiel 23: 3
- Cowardice: Numbers 14:3
- Fear: 2 Kings 17: 7
When we study what Egypt did to the Jews, we see the reasons that God doesn’t want Christians to be attracted to the world and to love the world. The world will:
- Put you in bondage: Exodus 3:19; Exodus 6:5
- Enslave you: Exodus 1:13
- Burden you: Exodus 6:7
- Afflict you: Deut. 26:6
- Fight you: 1 Kings 14: 25; Exodus 14:10
- Give you false gods: Exodus 32:1
- Give you false prophets: Deuteronomy 13:5
- Fail you: Isaiah 19:3; Isaiah 30:3; Isaiah 30:7
- Give you diseases: Deut. 28 7
- Steal your treasure: Genesis 47:13-21; 2 Chronicles 12:9
- Murder your children: Exodus 1:15
- Destroy you: Jeremiah 42:17
When we study what God did to the Jews to get them out of Egypt, we see what God does to keep Christians separated from the world. He:
- Loves you: Deut. 7:8
- Redeems you: 2 Samuel 7:23
- Spiritually circumcises you: Joshua 5:5
- Separates you: Exodus 3:10; 1 Kings 8:53; Hosea 11: 1; Exodus 11:7
- Gives you spiritual light: Exodus 14:20
- Raptures you: Genesis 50:26; Joshua 24: 32; Exodus 19:4
- Punishes them: Exodus 3:20
God’s Land Grant Includes the Land of the Philistines, verse 3
When Isaac sojourned in the land of the Philistines, God promised him that his seed would inherit that land. Today, this same land is located in Central and Southern Israel, with a portion of it in the Gaza Strip. There’s no reason for them to give back what God has already given them.
God’s Blessing on Isaac’s Seed, verse 4-5
God promised to multiply Isaac’s seed the way he promised to multiply Abraham’s. Furthermore, he gave Isaac the same promise “in thy seed shall all the nations of the earth be blessed,” (like Gen. 22:18). Not only does this promise concern his literal seed, as we saw with Abraham, but it is also true of Jesus Christ, the promised seed (Gal. 3:16). Look how Jesus blesses the nations.
- The gospel went to every nation, Rom. 16:26.
- Church age saints come from every nation, Rev. 5:9.
- Tribulation saints will come from every nation, Rev. 7:9, 14.
- National wars will cease when Jesus is on the earth, Is. 2:3-4.
- Nations will seek the Lord when Jesus is on the earth, Zech. 8:20-23.
- Nations will walk in the light of Jesus, Rev. 21:23-26.