Genesis 2:15-17 Two Trees in the Garden CLICK TITLE FOR AUDIO
When God planted the Garden of Eden, he specified two trees of particular importance: the tree of life and the tree of the knowledge of good and evil. Adam and Eve were forbidden to eat of the tree of the knowledge of good and evil. This tree has been commonly called an apple tree, however, there is no scriptural basis for this tradition. In fact, it was not an apple tree, but rather a grape vine (called a “vine tree” in the Bible). The tree of life, on the other hand, was an olive tree.
THE TREE OF THE KNOWLEDGE OF GOOD AND EVIL
Study grapes in the Bible and you will see why they had to be the forbidden fruit.
1. The vine is called a tree – Eze. 15:1-6;
2. Nazarites were forbidden everything connected with the grape – Num. 6:2-4;
3. Grape juice is a type of blood – Matt. 26:27-28, Deut. 32:14;
4. Blood is forbidden to be eaten – Gen. 9:4, Lev. 17:10-11, Acts 15:20;
5. Wine from grapes is connected with: a) Nakedness – Gen. 3:7, Hab. 2:15, Lam. 4:21, b) Drunkenness – Gen. 9:21, c) Fornication – Gen. 19:32-35;
6. The grape vine is: a) Contrasted to the true vine of Jn. 15:1-8, b) Connected with the wrath of God at the 2nd Advent – Rev. 14:18-20;
7. The branches are good for nothing but fuel (pictures vengeance) – Eze. 15:3-4; 8. The grape vine writhes like a snake.
THE TREE OF LIFE
Study olives in the Bible and you will see why the olive tree had to be the tree of life.
1. Olive oil is a type of the Holy Spirit, the giver of life (Rom. 8:2,10; 2 Cor. 3:6):
a) David was anointed with oil and the Spirit came upon him – 1 Sam. 16:13,
b) Oil was burned in the lamps and gave light – Lev. 24:2; Dan. 5:11,
c) Jesus Christ (Christ means anointed) was life and light – Jn. 1:4;
2. The tree of life is connected with righteousness and winning souls – Prov. 11:30;
3. The two olive trees of Zech. 4:11-14 are Moses and Elijah, who will both rise to life miraculously near the end of the Tribulation – Rev 11:11-12;
4. The olive tree is connected with the restoration and salvation of the Jews in the millennial reign of Christ – Rom. 11:15-16, 23-29;
5. The tree of life can be eaten when the curse of the fall is lifted – Rev. 22:2-3.