What can you do when the Foundations are Destroyed?
In this sermon we are going to look at three different foundations. The first one will be a foundation that can be destroyed but only in God’s time. The second one is a foundation that is sure and is everlasting. The last foundation that we will see are going to be personal foundation that relate to us.
Three Different Foundations:
1) The foundation of the world
- It is God that made these foundations (Job 38:4-6 ; Psalm 102:25)
- These foundations can be destroyed in God’s time (Psalm 18:7,15 ; Psalm 82:5 ; Isaiah 24:18-20).
- Our body is also a worldly foundation for we are made of clay (Job 4:19).
2) The foundation of Jesus Christ
- Righteousness is an everlasting foundation (Proverbs 10:25)
- Jesus was prophesied to be a sure foundation (Isaiah 28:16)
- The finished work of Jesus Christ provides us an unshakeable foundation (1 Corinthians 3:11 ; Hebrews 12:22-28)
3) Personal foundations
- By these we are referring to Relationships, Ministries, Careers, and Health etc.
- These can all be destroyed at any time but the question from the Psalm is, “What can the righteous do?
- The answer is to build again.
How can we build again when our personal foundations are destroyed?
To answer this question we will look at the book of Ezra where they are rebuilding the foundation and the temple of God to learn some important things regarding rebuilding the foundations.
- Ezra 3:1-7 (Worship must be established before foundation are rebuilt)
- Ezra 3:9-13 (It is ok to mourn the old foundation as long as you are moving forward)
- Ezra 4:1-24 (Watch out for adversaries and do not be destroyed by setbacks)
- Ezra 5:7-17 (Stick to the word you are given from God)
In the end our saved lives are judged at the Judgment Seat of Christ which is all about building upon the foundation of Jesus Christ (1 Corinthians 3:9-16).