A Good Name
Names play a major role in the world that we live in today. Think about names like Coke and McDonalds they are known worldwide. What makes something a good name is when it is associated with good things such as value, integrity, quality, dependability etc. Many companies especially those in the sports world like to get athletes to give endorsements for their products. This increases sales many times, but it also brings an added responsibility. When a company chooses an athlete to endorse their product then that company takes on the character of the athlete with their company. If the athlete is caught doing bad things, then it brings a bad image on the company and vice versa.
When we think about serving the Lord it is the same way. When we are saved, we take on the name of the Lord Jesus Christ. The question then becomes how do we represent the name of Jesus? This will be the focus of this lesson.
1) To have a good name you must first be saved.
- According to Romans 3:9-12 there are none righteous nor any that do good. So, the question becomes then how can we have a good name if no one is good?
- The answer is through salvation in the Lord Jesus Christ. When a person gets saved they become God’s children and therefor are the sons of God. (John 1:12-13 ; 1 John 3:1)
- This name connects us to Jesus Christ and if you are wondering what that name is connected with note Philippians 2:9-11.
2) The value of a good name.
- In Proverbs 22:1 Solomon says that a good name is better than great riches. This is true because you cannot buy a good name.
- Whether you are rich or whether you are poor your true character will come out. And think about what good is money if you are a not dependable, honest, trustworthy, etc. No one is going to want anything to do with you except those who are after your money. Then if your money runs out so will your friends.
- In Ecclesiastes 7:1 Solomon says that a good name is better than precious ointment.
- Ointment rejoices the heart like good counsel (Proverbs 27:9). Ointments also soothe and heal wounds. What do people think when they hear your name? What will people think after your dead when your name comes up?
3) How to have a good name for the Lord Jesus Christ.
- Everything we do as a saved person represents the Lord Jesus Christ either good or bad. We must think about this in our everyday lives.
- In 2 Timothy 2:19 we are told that everyone who names the name of Jesus should depart from iniquity.
In salvation we have obtained a good name, may we represent that name in a way that brings honor and glory to God and his son.
A Good Name
1) What are some examples from the world today that prove a good name is important?
2) What is the first thing you must do in order to have a good name?
3) What is the value of a good name?
4) How can we maintain a good name for the Lord?