Blinded by the Light
(2 Corinthians 4:3-6)
In this passage there are 3 questions that come to mind and the goal of this sermon will be to answer these three questions.
3 Questions from the passage:
1) Who does the blinding? Satan
2) What does he blind with? Light
3) What does he blind them from? Jesus Christ
Satan’s connection with Light:
- Original position was Lucifer, which means Light Bearer (Isaiah 14:12)
- He corrupted his wisdom by reason of his brightness (Ezekiel 28:17)
- He appears now as an angel of Light (2 Corinthians 11:14)
- His fall is the reason for the darkness in Genesis 1:2.
How man entered into darkness?
- In the recreation the world as we know it was in physical darkness, God created great lights to rule the day and night (Genesis 1:14-19)
- Adam was created in the image of God (Genesis 1:26) which is Jesus Christ (2 Corinthians 4:4).
- Since Adam was created in the image of God he had light, not physical light but a spiritual Light.
- When Adam and Eve sinned they lost the image of God (see Genesis 5:3), man not only became spiritually dark but he entered into a realm of darkness that is connected with Satan.
Lost man is spiritually dark and in a dark realm ruled by Satan:
- Acts 26:18 (Darkness to light, power of Satan to God)
- Ephesians 5:5 (Were darkness, now are ye light)
- Ephesians 6:12 (Rulers of the Darkness of his world)
God’s solution to man’s darkness:
- God sent the true light save the world (John 1:1-14 ; 1 John 1:1-7)
- In order to save the world he had to become darkness (Matthew 27:45-46)
- But he arose victorious over death and hell (2 Timothy 1:10)
This is where Satan’s blinding effect comes in:
- We often think that he blinds with darkness, but he actually blinds with a fake light.
- Remember Jesus is the true light (John 1:9) and Satan is the fake light (2 Corinthians 11:14).
- Note in Matthew that Jesus warned about your light being darkness (Matthew 6:23).
Once exposed you must make a choice:
- Man needs some kind of light but he must choose will it be the true light or the fake light? (John 3:17-21 ; John 12:36,46)