Everything is Spiritual
In this passage Jesus makes an interesting statement to the woman at the well. He tells her that, “God is a Spirit, and they that worship him must worship him in spirit and in truth.” In this sermon we are going to look at how to worship in spirit and in truth.
The verse says that God is a Spirit. We know that God has a Spirit, the Holy Spirit of God (Genesis 1:2). God also ahs a body, Jesus Christ and the Holy Spirit is also called the Spirit of Christ (Romans 8:9). But God is a spiritual being as well. Everything he created is a spiritual being.
- Angels (Hebrews 1:7,14)
- Spirit of anti-christ (1 John 4:3)
- Unclean spirits (Mark 5:2)
- Spirits of Devils (Revelation 16:13-14)
Man, at the beginning was a in a different spiritual state than after he sinned. Note that Adam was created in the image of God (Genesis 1:26-28) which is Jesus Christ (2 Corinthians 4:4 ; Hebrews 1:3). When man sinned, he lost that spiritual state hence he died (Genesis 2:17). After his death man is born in Adam’s image and therefore a sinner that dies (Genesis 5:3 ; Romans 5:12).
Even though man is now born in a different spiritual state. He still has a spirit inside of him, which is the spirit of man (1 Thessalonians 5:23 ; Hebrews 4:12 ; 1 Corinthians 2:9-13 ; Job 32:8).
How to worship God in spirit and in truth?
1) Today we must be saved and have the image restored spiritually speaking (Ephesians 2:1)
- This desire to regain a spiritual image that was lost is what drives man to religion. This sis why there are so many in the world today.
- The woman at the well question Jesus on where to worship (verses 19-20)
- Even people who says that there is no God are worshipping themselves, their wisdom, or science (Romans 1:18-25). Note Ezekiel 13;2-3 with Psalm 14:1.
- The only way to have the image restored spiritually right now is through the truth which is Jesus Christ (John 14:6).
2) Take heed to your spirit (Malachi 2:15,16)
The spirit of man can be:
a. Faithful (Proverbs 11:13) e. Haughty (Prov16:18)
b. Hasty (Proverbs 14:29) f. Overwhelmed (Ps. 72:3)
c. Broken (Proverbs 15:13) g. Stirred (Acts 17:16)
d. Humble (Proverbs 16:18) h. Troubled (John 11:33)
Things that affect our spirit:
a. Entertainment (1 Samuel 17:14,23 ; Ephesians 5:19)
b. People (Proverbs 22:24-25)
c. Places (Acts 17:16)
When our spirit gets defiled, we need to cleanse it (Psalm 51:10 with 2 Corinthians 7:1).
3) Must allow the word of truth and the Holy Spirit to work with our spirit (Romans 8:16)
- Note John 14:16-27 with John 15:7-11
- Note Proverbs 18:24 with Job 10:12.