Wherever there is truth, there are going to be lies. In the Old Testament, there were false prophets among the people, when there were holy men of God who spake as they were moved by the Holy Ghost [2 Pet 1:21]. In the New Testament, Peter said, “there shall be false teachers among you.” False teachers show up when we preach the truth of the Bible. False teachers:
Come in privily. That is, they come in secretly. In Galatia, false teachers came in behind Paul and tried to slip another gospel in on the Galatians [Gal 1:6-7; 3:1]. These teachers didn’t walk in and announce that they were bringing damnable heresies. They worked subtly.
Bring in damnable heresies. Acts 24:14 “after the way they call heresy.” Where there is an established religion, an opinion is deemed heresy, when it differs from that of the religion. For us, the scriptures are the standard of faith; any opinion (an error) contrary to sound doctrine is heresy. All heresies are divisive [1 Cor 11:18-19]. Damnable heresies are worthy of eternal punishment, either lost inheritance in the kingdom of God [Gal 5:19-21], or hell if the teacher is lost [2 Pet 2:4, 6; Gal 1:8-9; Matt 23:14-15]. Some damnable heresies are:
- Preaching another gospel and another Jesus – Gal 1:8-9. Offshoots are JW LDS.
- Salvation by the works of the law – Gal 1:7; 2:16; 3:10; 5:4. What became RCC and has infiltrated Methodist, Lutheran, Presbyterian, etc.
- Salvation by water baptism – Jn 3:3-7; Acts 8:36-38 v. 37 missing.
- Tongues and signs as proof of salvation and the presence of the Holy Spirit – Acts 2:4, 17-18. However, according to 2 Thes 2:9, many signs and wonders are the work of Satan. In Acts 16:16-18, the damsel who followed Paul was demon possessed.
- Calvinism – Eph 1:4-5. This is the doctrine of predestination to salvation. Preachers and churches who believe this doctrine quit preaching the gospel and sending missionaries.
- Emerging church. Deny virgin birth and bodily resurrection of Jesus. Deny the atonement. Salvation is us saving the earth. The kingdom of God is about us saving the planet.
Deny the Lord. Even denying the Lord that bought them. To deny is to reject; not to receive. People who have been subverted by these false teachers reject the Lord Jesus. When you deal with them about their souls they turn him down. Notice the Lord bought them; so there is no such thing as “limited atonement.” Jesus died for everyone [1 Tim 2:4-6].
Face swift destruction. Swift destruction – speedy; that comes without delay. Judgment lingereth not; damnation slumbereth not [2 Pet 2:3]. When it comes it is swift [2 Thes 1:7-10].
Lead many astray. Many shall follow their pernicious ways. Pernicious ways are destructive; having the quality of killing, destroying or injuring. Notice many follow them. There are more that follow those who preach heresies than those who preach the truth.
Bring reproach to the truth. By reason of whom the way of truth shall be evil spoken of. They bring reproach to the gospel.
Covet personal gain. Through covetousness. Their motive is Titus 1:10-11. They want a large following [Gal 4:17; 6:13]. They glory in your flesh and your money [1 Tim 6:5]. Merchandise of you. You are just a commodity to them. They are not concerned for your soul.
Invent their own doctrine. Feigned words are invented; they are devised to mean something different than what the Bible says. The doctrine of these heresies is not Biblical. They redefine Biblical doctrine. For example, “liberty” now means anything you want to do is okay with God. “Grace” means there are no eternal consequences to your misuse of liberty.