A Gauge of Your Faith
Mark 6:1-6 ; Luke 7:1-10
In these two passages we find the only two places in the King James Bible where Jesus is said to Marvel at something. In Mark he marvels at their lack of faith and in Luke he marvels at the great faith of the centurion.
The key in both passages is authority. In Mark they question his authority and were offended because he was using authority. In Luke the centurion was with authority and a man under authority. He knew how to be both and Jesus marveled at this.
In both places authority is directly connected with faith. Therefore how we handle authority can be used as a gauge of our faith.
How is Authority connected with faith? (Luke 7:1-10)
1) Both are given (verse 9)
- Authority is given (Luke 20:1-2 ; John 5:47)
- Faith is given (Ephesians 2:8-9 ; Romans 12:3)
- In Salvation faith is in the name of Jesus (Acts 3:16) and the blood of Jesus (Romans 3:25).
2) It takes faith to be under Authority (verses 2-5)
- Authority is not about power it is about service (Matthew 20:25-28)
- Service is all about faith (Hebrews 3:2-5)
3) Without faith you will never successfully lead (verse 8)
- If you cannot follow you will never lead (Luke 16:10-12)
- “I cannot consent to place in the control of others, one who cannot control himself” Robert E. Lee
- “The less character you have the more governing you require. The more governing you require the less capable you are of handling leadership” Denis Corle
4) Faith is what is marveled at not Authority (verse 9)
- Note 2 Thessalonians 1:4 and Hebrews 13:7